Old 18-01-2006, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wylie Wilde

Default Dahlia not flowering

Hi,

My Dahlias are not flowering very much- only three or four flowers. But
there are plenty of leaves. What should I do?

XX

Old 18-01-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Check the soil for phosphate levels. If they are low, a phosphate or super
phosphate will help get them to bloom.

Dwayne

Old 18-01-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
Hi,

My Dahlias are not flowering very much- only three or four flowers. But
there are plenty of leaves. What should I do?

g'day xx
I was going to suggest you try growing them in the Summer but then I saw
your e-mail address.

XX

Old 18-01-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Wylie Wilde" wrote
My Dahlias are not flowering very much- only three or four flowers. But
there are plenty of leaves. What should I do?

You don't say what part of Australia you are from but Dahlias do like plenty
of water, could that be part of the problem? I would never suggest my
relatives in Adelaide tried growing them for that reason.
What are your growing conditions? Temp, rainfall, soil type etc?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-01-2006, 04:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wylie Wilde

I live in Melbourne which experiences mild winters- hardly any frost in the
suburbs. But the summers are a scorcher- and we experience 40C days- and
the average temperature for the week can be 30C+. thats what? about 111F-
120F?

We're experiencing Summer right now- if you want to visit- I wouldn't advice
it- its way too freaking hot!!!!!

Some of the Dahilas have been scorched by the heat and the leaves have
turned burnt.

They are in an exposed part of the garden - facing the west and get 8+ hours
of hot sun.

(Sometime in the future- when i have the time and "family" political power-
I will plant some trees in the front nature strip to block the hot sun)

Sorry to bump into the uk gardening section- like this. I posted similar
messages in rec.gardens and aus.gardens but got little response.

Cheers!!!

Old 20-01-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
I live in Melbourne which experiences mild winters- hardly any frost in the
suburbs. But the summers are a scorcher- and we experience 40C days- and
the average temperature for the week can be 30C+. thats what? about 111F-
120F?

We're experiencing Summer right now- if you want to visit- I wouldn't
advice it- its way too freaking hot!!!!!

Some of the Dahilas have been scorched by the heat and the leaves have
turned burnt.

They are in an exposed part of the garden - facing the west and get 8+
hours of hot sun.

Holey cow batman; that is hot alright. Here in Ireland, the main problem
with Dahlias is they get waterlogged and miserable if you leave them in the
ground overwinter. Once they survive that though or get planted out late
enough to miss tha last frosts (cold stuff that we get in winters here where
the temperature goes below 0C; you may have heard of it :-) they grow like
crazy and once they are well fed, they flower for months. I have no idea
how to translate that to where you live.
good luck with them
Des

Old 20-01-2006, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Wylie Wilde" wrote ...
[...]

I suspect your problem is water, or lack of enough to keep up with the
plants transpiration (sweat). Besides the heat, you also have that strong
Melbourne sun which is stronger than our hottest summer sun even in the
shade. :-)
If you really must grow dahlias then you need to tackle both these things.
They need to be out of your direct sun, especially in the middle of the day,
that's an open aspect but in just no direct sun. You will also need to take
care with the watering to make sure they have enough. Is the soil water
retentive or easily drained (sandy)?
Shade from trees might not improve matters as the trees would take up water
too and make that problem worse.

There are shade cloths about too which you can use to good effect by
building a pergola over the plants and covering it with the shade cloth.
Comes in different shade %'s.

Old 21-01-2006, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
Hi,

My Dahlias are not flowering very much- only three or four flowers. But
there are plenty of leaves. What should I do?

XX

Now that your days are getting shorter this should stimulate flower
formation. They do respond to shortening daylight.
Best Wishes Brian.