Old 23-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Druss

Default Dahlia's and flowering

Hi all,

A whole new area for me this year, thought I'd try out a dahlia or two, got
a Bishop of Landuff, where else would you start this year ?, and it's grown
well in the pot, 18 inches high, but no sign of buds anywhere, is it too
early to be hoping for such things ?

On another note, my sister and I both bought a new pot, and a reduced dahlia
bulb, can't remember the name, but it's supposed to flower prolifically and
produce lots of flat purple daisy like flowers, on a grand scale of course!,
anyway the idea was to race to grow the best plant. Well as far as I can
tell she kept hers outdoors, and now has a mass of stems about 10-12 inches
high, whilst mine stayed a bit too long in the greenhouse and has two 18
inch high stems, again though no sign of buds etc.

So in order for me to win this little contest I need to know how to make the
plant flower, and hopefully flower prolifically, we did purchase and plant
the tubers a bit late, but any advice from the pro's gratefully received,
advice re. conditions/feed/options to increase flowering etc

Cheers
Duncan

Old 23-07-2003, 01:03 PM
The Devil's Advocate

They love plenty and I mean plenty of water, far more than they can get in a
pot. Why not try a high potash feed (tomato feed) to try and force them into
flower

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 30-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Druss

Cheers I'll try that, though i've been feeding them on comfrey liquid
already, maybe not enough water though.
Duncan

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...