Old 24-01-2006, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Digging it in?

In article .com,
"La Puce" writes:

| I don't eat beef because of BSG
| I don't eat chicken because of chicken flu
| I don't eat fish because of mercury
| I don't eat salades because of nitrates
| I don't eat veal because of hormones
| I don't eat vegetables because of GMO
| I don't drink water because of lead ...

[ Corrected ]

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas...ns_and_Carols/
bryng_us_in_no_browne_bred.htm

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote after "Bob Hobden" said

I think you missed the :-) Janet.

No, but some other reader might. And you made a serious error.

A serious error? Where?

When you said (comparing horse and cat pooh)

"But looking at the two it appears it's only Toxoplasma gondii that
the cat
poo may have extra to Horse poo,"

My point is that the risk to health is slight, a lot less than being
injured or killed on the roads.

But you would not call it "hysterical panic" to drive sober, wearing a
seat belt, at an appropriate speed. Knowing the risks of garden faeces,
and taking sensible precautions, are all the OP wanted.

For pregnant women (1500 infections per year in the UK, affecting 30 to
40 % of their foetuses), cat pooh is a significant and avoisable risk.

. There are two separate risks to human health from cat pooh,
toxoplasmosis and toxocariasis.

The latter wasn't mentioned by Mel and I wasn't about to bring it up as she
seems concerned enough already

Cop out! She specifically mentioned worms, suggesting she already
knows that risk.

and most cat owners will worm their hunting
cats on a regular basis in order to reduce the risk of all worms anyway.

What is the evidence for that claim?

Cat owners reading your answer to Mel, might (wrongly) infer there is
only one (transient) risk from cat pooh, and stop bothering about
worming throughout the cats life.

These are two separate disease risks from cat pooh. Neither is a
trivial issue.

Not trivial but a small risk and therefore not anything to panic about
either.

Someone asked for information, being properly informed is not "panic"
or "hysteria". Ill- informed people are far MORE likely to panic or
worry because they don't understand exactly what and where the risks
occur.

Janet
Old 24-01-2006, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Nick Maclaren wrote:
[ Corrected ]
http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas...ns_and_Carols/
bryng_us_in_no_browne_bred.htm

You do realise what you have done now. I need the sound to this.
Therefore now searching and hoping my neighbour knows. But 1914?! Might
not be old enough!!

But can I share my favourite poem with you and you all. I apologise
because it is rather a long one, but it has been such a lovely sunny
day here, I'm in the mood ...

A tired swimmer in the waves of time
I throw my hands up: let the surface close:
Sink down through centuries to another clime,
And buried find the castle and the rose.
Buried in time and sleep,
So drowsy, overgrown,
That here the moss is green upon the stone,
And lichen stains the keep.
I've sunk into an image, water-drowed,
Where stirs no wind and penetrates no sound,
Illusive, fragile to a touch, remote,
Foundered within the well of years as deep
As in the waters of a stagnant moat.

Yet in and out of these decaying halls
I move, and not a ripple, not a quiver,
Shakes the reflection though the waters shiver -
My tread is to the same illusion bound.
Here, tall and damask as a summer flower,
Rise the brick gable and the springing tower;
Invading Nature crawls
With ivied fingers over rosy walls,
Searching the crevices,
Clasping the mullion, riveting the crack,
Binding the fabric crumbling to attack,
And questing feelers of the wandering fronds
Grope for interstices,
Holding this myth together under sea,
Anachronistic vagabonds!

And here, by birthright far from present fashion,
As no disturber of the mirrored trance
I move, and to the world above the waters
Wave me incognisance.

For here, where days and years have lost their number,
I let a plummet down in lieu of date,
And lose myself within a slumber
Submerged, elate.

For now the apple ripens, now the hop,
And now the clover, now the barley-crop;
Spokes bound upon a wheel forever turning,
Wherewith I turn, no present manner learning;
Cry neither 'Speed your processes!' nor 'Stop!'

I am content to leave the world awry
Busy with politic perplexity
If still the cart horse at the fall of day
Clumps up the lane to stable and to hay,
And tired men go home form the immense
Labour and life's expense
That force the harsh recalcitrant waste to yield
Corn and not nettles in the harvest field;
This husbandry, this castle, and this I
Moving within the deeps,
Shall be content within our timeless spell,
Assembled fragments of an age gone by,
While still the sower sows, the reaper reaps,
Beneath the snowy mountains of the sky,
And meadows dimple to the village bell.
So plods the stallion up my evening lane
And fills me with a mindless deep repose,
Wherein I find in chain
The castle, and the pasture, and the rose.

Beauty, and use, and beauty once again
Link up my scattered heart, and shape a scheme
Commensurate with a frustrated dream.

The autumn bonfire smokes across the woods
And reddens in the water of the moat;
As red within the water burns the scythe,
And the moon dwindled to her gibbous tithe
Follows the sunken sun afloat.

Green is the eastern sky and red the west;
The hop kilns huddle under pallid hoods,
The wagon stupid stands with upright shaft,
As daily life accepts the night's arrest.
Night like a deeper sea engulfs the land,
The castle, and the meadows, and the farm,
And shakes his chain towards the lunar brand.

In the high room where tall the shadows tilt
As candle flames blow crooked in the draught,
The reddened sunset on the panes was split,
But now as black as nomad's tent
The night time and the night of time have blent
Their darkness, and the waters doubly sleep.
Over my head the years and centuries sweep,
The years of childhood flown,
The centuries unknown,
I dream, I do not weep.

To V.W
Sissinghurst
Vita Sackville-West

Old 24-01-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"La Puce" writes:

| http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas...ns_and_Carols/
| bryng_us_in_no_browne_bred.htm
|
| You do realise what you have done now. I need the sound to this.
| Therefore now searching and hoping my neighbour knows. But 1914?! Might
| not be old enough!!

The original was not later than 16th century (if genuine), so
your guess as to the sound is as good as most people's.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-01-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:05:54 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in message ):

Yes, but tetanus for UK gardeners is one that really is worth it.
My comment on lightning is accurate largely because most people who
work on the land are immunised against it - I do not know how common
it would be if that were not the case, except more so.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Now that's a great idea.

Is it a union thing, or can I get immunised against lightning too?
;

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 31-01-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article m,
VX wrote:

Now that's a great idea.

Is it a union thing, or can I get immunised against lightning too?

Well, some people believe that sacrificing to the gods appropriately
will immunise you against lightening, but they are such a dyspeptic
and unpredictable lot that you can never be sure.

Next week: elephant repellents.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-01-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
I trap them in my rhubarb. heffalumps *CANNOT* resist the call of the jungle.

Ha yes, Deilephila porcellus. A problem with rhubarb indeed. Must be
the bedstraw ...

Old 31-01-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

VX wrote:

Now that's a great idea.

Is it a union thing, or can I get immunised against lightning too?

Well, some people believe that sacrificing to the gods appropriately
will immunise you against lightening, but they are such a dyspeptic
and unpredictable lot that you can never be sure.

Next week: elephant repellents.

I just raise my arms, the smell puts them off!

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-01-2006, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Next week: elephant repellents.

I just raise my arms, the smell puts them off!

It must be an awful long time since you had a bath..your armpits have
deterred them from Scotland too.

Janet

Old 31-01-2006, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Next week: elephant repellents.

I just raise my arms, the smell puts them off!

It must be an awful long time since you had a bath..your armpits have
deterred them from Scotland too.

Might be me, though - I've got a fig tree growing in my bath, the
tidemark got so fertile.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Pond Digging 101 BenignVanilla Ponds 13 26-03-2003 09:44 PM
Digging Soil near roses John Wilkins Roses 8 03-03-2003 03:39 AM
digging dog Alan Holmes Edible Gardening 0 23-01-2003 10:56 PM
Dog digging garden help Ron Lawns 5 20-10-2002 12:19 AM