Old 30-01-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Allen Caius

Default rejuveniate elderflower bush/tree

The message .com
from "Connor T" contains these words:

excellent, thanks to everyone for all the replys, i did plan to hack it
down this weekend, but other things got in the way, but it's definately
going to be cut back soon!

Dan

When we first moved to our present house we inherited a number of old,
broken Elders. I wasn't sure how they would take to hard pruning so I
did one first. I need not have worried, the new growth grew with
greater vigour then when it had old growth. I subsequently hard pruned
the remainder and they are all looking much better than they did.

Elders root very easily from cuttings too. I just wait for the council
hedge trimmer to pass by and gather an armful of elder sticks, cut them
clean at the base and bung them into the ground. Invariably some take
root.

--
Cheers,

Allen