Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Elderflower time again

I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

90 heads of Elder flower, picked at mid-day

6 sliced lemons

9lbs. Preserving sugar (Caster will do but Preserving is better)

7.5 oz. Citric or Tartaric acid

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl or clean plastic bucket. Add 7.5
pints boiling water.

Stir night and day for 5 days. Strain, squeezing the lemons. Put into
plastic bottles and deep freeze. Take out only when wanted, and refrigerate
as it wonıt keep out of the freezer for more than 5 to 7 days. Dilute with
water to taste. This makes a very refreshing drink in hot weather. Undiluted,
itıs also good on gooseberries or over fruit salad.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

90 heads of Elder flower, picked at mid-day

6 sliced lemons

9lbs. Preserving sugar (Caster will do but Preserving is better)

7.5 oz. Citric or Tartaric acid

Put all the ingredients into a large bowl or clean plastic bucket. Add 7..5
pints boiling water.

Stir night and day for 5 days. Strain, squeezing the lemons. Put into
plastic bottles and deep freeze. Take out only when wanted, and refrigerate
as it wonıt keep out of the freezer for more than 5 to 7 days. Dilute with
water to taste. This makes a very refreshing drink in hot weather. Undiluted,
itıs also good on gooseberries or over fruit salad.

Yum! And the best dessert wine I ever made was elderflower. Start a
gallon of sweetish strong white wine, rack when the first
fermentation's done; then add a pint of elderflowers (removed from
stalks: stalks taste horrible) in the sterilised foot of half a pair of
tights weighed down with a fistful of sterilised marbles or a
sterilised small bottle full of water. Remove flowers after 3 days, and
rack into a demijohn. Proceed as normal. Best left for a year after
bottling.

I'd suggest using half-bottles, as this is a wine to savour, not to
glug in quantity.

For reasons I don't entirely understand, it will taste foul, not
delightful, if the flowers are left in more than three days. I've also
found that elderflowers make the place stink of cat if left around and
not used immediately.

--
Mike.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/6/06 12:34, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

snip

Yum! And the best dessert wine I ever made was elderflower. Start a
gallon of sweetish strong white wine, rack when the first
fermentation's done; then add a pint of elderflowers (removed from
stalks: stalks taste horrible) in the sterilised foot of half a pair of
tights weighed down with a fistful of sterilised marbles or a
sterilised small bottle full of water. Remove flowers after 3 days, and
rack into a demijohn. Proceed as normal. Best left for a year after
bottling.

I'd suggest using half-bottles, as this is a wine to savour, not to
glug in quantity.

For reasons I don't entirely understand, it will taste foul, not
delightful, if the flowers are left in more than three days. I've also
found that elderflowers make the place stink of cat if left around and
not used immediately.

I found that when I made the cordial last year. The kitchen stank and the
dogs were indignant! There are also recipes around for elderflower
fritters
etc. It can be quite hard to get the tartaric acid or citric acid because,
apparently, both can be used to cut cocaine or to make bombs. I had no
idea
what an exciting life I was leading by default!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Citric acid and Tartaric acid are used for making "Bath Bombs".
You can cut Charlie with anything white.
Return to getting excited by weeding:-)

Old 07-06-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 7/6/06 12:57, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
It can be quite hard to get the tartaric acid or citric acid because,
apparently, both can be used to cut cocaine or to make bombs. I had no
idea
what an exciting life I was leading by default!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
)

Citric acid and Tartaric acid are used for making "Bath Bombs".
You can cut Charlie with anything white.
Return to getting excited by weeding:-)

I've more than done my duty with a load of goose grass in a hedge this
morning. That's as exciting as it gets and it's quite enough for me!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

...It can be quite hard to get the tartaric acid or citric acid because,
apparently, both can be used to cut cocaine or to make bombs.

I just asked at our local chemist - they had citric out on the shelf and the
assistant kindly got the pharmacist who explained that citric was a good
substitute for tartaric in recipes such as elderflower cordial. Am about to
make my first batch
(I did just search for citric acid on the net and found several recipes of
explosives so will be careful what I put into my cordial )

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle
Sacha Hubbard wrote:[color=blue]
I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

Yum! And the best dessert wine I ever made was elderflower.
--
Mike.
Thanks for the cordial recipe Sacha. The two trees on our new plot are in full bloom. Any idea where one obtains the citric acid? Also would I need to remove some of the green stalks? I'm intrigued by the midday rule but I suppose it insures the flowers are well open and dry.

Mike your wine sounds great, but I know that to make a good homemade wine you have to be pretty skilled. I suspect that I have more chance of success with the non alcoholic recipe.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
[...]

You get the citric or tartaric acid from a chemist who might have to order
it for you. The one I got it from is one who knows us and the person I
spoke to there this morning said she'd ordered it in because it's
elderflower time and she knew several people would want it. Each packet
contains 50g. However, I've heard of people having trouble finding it in
the past because of the illegal potential, so it's worth making sure your
local chemist will obtain it for you.

[...]

I can't imagine any chemist refusing to sell it in these little packets
just because of the risk of abuse; but I can sympathise if they don't
reckon they can sell enough to make it economic. I think big towns
still have home-brew shops -- there's one in Cheltenham, for example,
and a market stall in Carmarthen. The bloke in the Chelt shop told me
how the market for these things had shrunk over the past ten-twenty
years since the height of the home booze craze: even his wholesaler of
citric acid and such was buying a fraction of what he used to.

--
Mike.

Old 08-06-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 8/6/06 00:13, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

[...]

I think you can still get it from the Tucker's Maltings shop in Newton
Abbot, not far from us. I haven't tried that. I think the little packets
might be a response to the risk of abuse, BTW. Last time a friend bought
some for me and it came in a much larger tub, so perhaps it's being
repackaged for that reason.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle writes

Sacha wrote:
[...]

[...]

While we're on the topic of hard-to-get things which are declining in
popularity - does anyone know where you can get rennet nowadays? For
making junket rather than cheese.
--
Kay

Old 08-06-2006, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jollygreenp

jane wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:43:18 +0100, Sacha wrote:

~On 8/6/06 00:13, in article
. com, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
~
~
~ Sacha wrote:
~ [...]
~
[...]

I get mine from the local Chinese supermarket but I think any Asian
shop will have it as the packs are from a well-known spices range
(Rajah I think, without phoning home to get Sir to check). I use it
for defurring kettles as it's cheaper than the proprietary descalers
and exactly the same active ingredient...

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

For anyone having problems finding citric acid they can always add a
few extra lemons to the recipe as lemon juice is to all intents and
purposes a citric acid solution! It might even be that with 6 lemons
in there it is already acidic enough for some folks.

J.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

snip

My granny used to make elderflower doughnuts - wrong term, I know, but
bear with me, they are seriously yummy:

For 8 people, you need:

16 elderflowers
20cl milk
12.5cl creme fraiche
5cl beer
The yolks and whites (separated) of 2 med eggs
50 grs of caster sugar
50 grs of honey
1 pinch of salt
Icing sugar for sprinkling

For cooking: peanut oil or other suitable veg oil

Rinse and pat dry the flowers
Sift flour and form a well
Addmilk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, salt honey and bear, and mix with a
whip, avoiding lumps - let rest in fridge for 30 mins.
Whip up egg whites till soft peaks, then incorporate gently with the
milk/flour/egg etc mixture.
Heat up oil in frying pan (deep fat fryer) to 180 degree C.
Holding the flowers by the step, dip in batter, then immediately
immerse in hot oil.
When each battered flower is golden, scoop it out with slotted spoon,
and drop onto kitchen paper.
Sprinkle generously with icing sugar, and eat while still warm.

Seriously magic, I warn you!

Cat(h)

Old 08-06-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Cat(h) wrote:
Sacha Hubbard wrote:
I thought those with elder trees, or access to them, might like to have this:
ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

snip

My granny used to make elderflower doughnuts - wrong term, I know, but
bear with me, they are seriously yummy:

For 8 people, you need:

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!
I forgot the flour!!!
You need 250 grs of ordinary wheat flour.

PHEW! Sorry 'bout that!

Cat(h)

Old 08-06-2006, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Cat(h) wrote:
[...]
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!
I forgot the flour!!!
You need 250 grs of ordinary wheat flour.

PHEW! Sorry 'bout that!

[...]

I once shyly confessed to a girlfriend that I'd forgotten to put salt
in the bread. She smiled happily, and admitted she'd once forgotten the
yeast. And, while we're at it, I'm in a position to reveal that a
well-tuned strimmer will run for a while on Cuprinol.

--
Mike.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Mike Lyle wrote:
Cat(h) wrote:
[...]
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!
I forgot the flour!!!
You need 250 grs of ordinary wheat flour.

PHEW! Sorry 'bout that!

[...]

I once shyly confessed to a girlfriend that I'd forgotten to put salt
in the bread. She smiled happily, and admitted she'd once forgotten the
yeast. And, while we're at it, I'm in a position to reveal that a
well-tuned strimmer will run for a while on Cuprinol.

I don't know how you live with yourself.

Cat(h)