Old 05-02-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Basket size for ground cover rose Magic Carpet?

I want to grow the ground cover rose Magic Carpet in a hanging basket
(apparently some people do this). But I have no experience of hanging baskets
and am having difficulty deciding what size basket to use. This rose,
although it does not grow tall, does spread out a few feet (or in the case of
a basket, hang down a few feet) and so I'm thinking that is the equivalent
potwise of a bush growing a few feet tall, just arranged differently. My 12'
self-watering plastic basket, sitting unused in a cupboard, doesn't seem like
it will be big enough. A 16" or 18" basket seems better, but they aren't
self-watering. My best idea so far (maybe) is to hang a normal 12" pot inside
the metal ring from a 12" hanging basket if I can cut the latter up and use
the outer ring this way.

If anyone has any experience in this area and/or knows how to do this, do
please let me know!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 06-02-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:37:12 +0000, VX wrote
(in message m):

I want to grow the ground cover rose Magic Carpet in a hanging basket
(apparently some people do this). But I have no experience of hanging
baskets
and am having difficulty deciding what size basket to use.

Well I did the next best thing and called the nursery, who said an 18" basket
would be necessary. That's a very big basket. I also saw a 24" wall manger on
the web and tried to draw that to scale alongside the 18" round basket.
Looking at these objects drawn to scale, the 24" wall manger looks like it
holds more than the 18" round basket. So I've ordered the manger. Such is
life in the fast lane!
--
VX (remove alcohol for email)