Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Sue Chamberlain

Default disturbing sedum

I have read that sedum is not very happy when disturbed, but just how
unhappy is it?
Will it die? Or fail to thrive? Does it just take time to recover?
I could leave half what I've got in its original place, I guess, and risk
the other half. Would even that be too disturbing?
Voices of experience, I wait to hear from you.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sue Chamberlain
writes
I have read that sedum is not very happy when disturbed, but just how
unhappy is it?

Which sedum are you talking about? Stonerop, for example, is a sedum,
and doesn't care two hoots about being disturbed - thrives on it, in
fact, since any of the fleshy leaves can simply put down roots. Are we
tallking sedum spectabile here - the bid red flowered thing that
attracts butterflies? I find it indestructible.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Sue Chamberlain

Yes, the big red flowered thing that attracts butterflies, and bees? I must
say it does look indestructible, so I'm pleased to hear from you. Thanks.

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:28:02 +0000, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Sue Chamberlain
writes
I have read that sedum is not very happy when disturbed, but just how
unhappy is it?

Which sedum are you talking about? Stonerop, for example, is a sedum,
and doesn't care two hoots about being disturbed - thrives on it, in
fact, since any of the fleshy leaves can simply put down roots. Are we
tallking sedum spectabile here - the bid red flowered thing that
attracts butterflies? I find it indestructible.

Same here...I find they need dividing regularly or they lose that
lovely 'bunchiness' that's pretty much the whole point of Sedum
Spectabile. Like so many of us, they go bald in the middle.

I just heft them up ( give them a good water first, just to be
sporting ) and slice the rootball up with a spade. Never had one go
bad on me yet.

I tend to do it about now - they flower quite late, and the dead heads
look too attractive to disturb through the late Autumn.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk