Old 25-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Stephen Goodall

Default Hoax?

I have received this message several times each time the attachment is
infected with a virus not always the same one. So delete it without opening
the attachment and empty your deleted items folder.

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
I have received an e-mail today purporting to be from Microsoft Security
Division advising me to download and install their March 2003 Security
Patch. The message in convincingly worded, but it contains some
inconstancies with the usual MS style. I have checked at Widows Updates
on the MS site and that tells me that no critical updates are due for
downloading in my PC. I am assuming that the message is a hoax and that
to download it would cause problems. Can anyone confirm this please?
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 25-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Mary Fisher wrote in message 3e809e4f$0$254
I hesitated about opening it because of the subject line but my virus

thingy
had removed the nasty worm so I was lucky.

Mary

I've received it three times this week, and not opened the attachment at
all. The fact that it says it was sent from an anonymous e mailing
address and therefore you can't e mail them about anything worried me,
so into the bin it went.
Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 26-03-2003, 01:20 AM
shannie

definately a virus carrier this one. All the advise is correct, delet it and
empty your deleted items folder. Just as an aside there is another one, its
not high priority as yet but it's building, again the titles are different
but they all purport to have something to do with the war in iraq, usually
something like "war pics" or similar. As these virus's can be spread through
address books, they may unwittingly come from someone you know, if their
addy book has been infected. If you get unsolicited mail(similar to above)
with attachments, even from someone you know, delete them. If they turn out
to be genuine you can always ask your friends to resend them. Have a look at
the link below fyi.

Shan (Ireland)

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/

news

Old 26-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 06:06:22 +0000, Alan Gould wrote:

I have received an e-mail today purporting to be from Microsoft Security
Division advising me to download and install their March 2003 Security
Patch. The message in convincingly worded, but it contains some
inconstancies with the usual MS style. I have checked at Widows Updates
on the MS site and that tells me that no critical updates are due for
downloading in my PC. I am assuming that the message is a hoax and that
to download it would cause problems. Can anyone confirm this please?

I've been receiving this hoax/virus/scam/fake two or three times
a week since some time in February. Lately, it's used other
subject lines than "Microsoft Security Patch". It can be
recognized quite easily because the message size is about 203,000
bytes. (There's another such virus that generates messages around
170,000 bytes, and yet another at about 73000 bytes.)

I have no idea just what horrors the attached .exe file commits,
but as I run an antiquated Win3.1 system, I'm immune to it. Those
of you running Win95 or later versions are at great risk.

Beware, beware, beware. Don't be gullible. Don't be a pollyanna.
And don't use Outlook Express!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 27-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Berridge

Paul Kelly wrote in message ...

definitely!

I received around a dozen of them over a few weeks, the source(s)

is/are now
blacklisted by Mailwasher so I never see them.

btw Mailwasher is free and excellent for spam blocking.

It is apparently the GIBE B virus, but there are two attachments, one is
250 Mb, that is the virus, the other is only a few kb, that is the
attachment once a virus checker has killed it. Several copies have been
sent to Microsoft, but as they have come from people with up to date
virus checkers the attachment is empty when it arrives at Microsoft.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 28-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:23:45 -0000, Michael Berridge wrote:

Paul Kelly wrote in message ...

definitely!

I received around a dozen of them over a few weeks, the source(s)

is/are now
blacklisted by Mailwasher so I never see them.

btw Mailwasher is free and excellent for spam blocking.

It is apparently the GIBE B virus, but there are two attachments, one is
250 Mb, that is the virus, the other is only a few kb, that is the
attachment once a virus checker has killed it. Several copies have been
sent to Microsoft, but as they have come from people with up to date
virus checkers the attachment is empty when it arrives at Microsoft.

Actually, this new virus also seems to check all newsgroup
messages available on the infected machine and tries to infect
both "from" and "reply-to" addresses. I use a munged "from"
address, so I can tell this is what's happening.

More than ever, time to think about switching to Linux!

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla United Kingdom 6 27-07-2004 02:08 PM
scientific method is a hoax? Roadrunner Plant Science 8 27-11-2003 01:22 PM
OT virus/NOT A HOAX NJ Ponds 0 12-08-2003 03:17 PM
Deforestation a hoax. [email protected] alt.forestry 59 28-01-2003 07:24 AM
Deforestation a hoax P van Rijckevorsel alt.forestry 3 28-01-2003 02:41 AM