Old 25-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Kman

Default Transplanting Leeks

I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

---

Old 25-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:47:13 -0000, "Kman"
wrote:

I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

You needn't worry, the roots are so brittle that they tend to get
damaged during the transplant process - so simply cut them off about
an inch from the base.
I snip a few inches off the leaves too, to lessen moisture loss.
Make sure you water them in well - and using dibber holes, don't
bother to fill them in.

They'll put out new roots in no time at all.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 26-03-2003, 07:08 AM
Cerumen

"Kman" wrote in message
I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots

up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

Yes, I always used to trim both tops and roots of my leek seedlings before
planting out.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 27-03-2003, 08:44 PM
janet.bennett

Leeks are among the most tolerant and trouble-free vegetables to
grow - apart from a little bit of extra work.

a.. Choose two or three varieties so you can have early leeks from
October to November, mid-season from December to January, and late from
February to April.

b.. Varieties I'm sowing this year.

c.. Sow the seeds thinly in shallow drills about 6 inches apart in
March or April.

d.. Thin them to about 1 inch apart. I have successfully
transplanted the thinnings - and eaten others as a delicious alternative to
spring onions.

e.. The leeks are ready for transplanting when they are about 8
inches high, and the thickness of a pencil. I lift my early potatoes, fork
in some compost from the heap, and transplant the leeks.
a.. Water the seed bed the day before you transplant.
b.. Make a 6 inch deep hole with a dibber.
c.. Drop in the leek seedling and gently fill the hole with water.
Don't fill it with soil!
d.. Space the leeks 6 inches apart, in rows 12 inches apart.

f.. Keep the weeds down, and draw soil (gently!) around the stems -
but not into the leaves.

g.. Start harvesting when they are still quite small - and as and
when you need them. Lift them gently with a fork.

Growing Calendar - Leeks

Sow inside; in greenhouse; or under cover

Plant out

Sow direct in beds

Harvesting

a.. This calendar is based on my allotment in Yorkshire; southerners
will start earlier, northerners even later!

Vegetable
Rotation bed

Leek
Year 3 (of four)

To Vegetables Index
Top Onions Spring and Salad Onions Shallots Garlic

Old 27-03-2003, 09:44 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:37:37 -0000, "janet.bennett"
wrote:

Leeks are among the most tolerant and trouble-free vegetables to
grow - apart from a little bit of extra work.

a.. Choose two or three varieties so you can have early leeks from
October to November, mid-season from December to January, and late from
February to April.

b.. Varieties I'm sowing this year.

??

Aww g'wan.... do tell

f.. Keep the weeds down, and draw soil (gently!) around the stems -
but not into the leaves.

I've never bothered with that earthing-up malarkey for my leeks....I
tend to make the dibber holes deeper in the first place.
Also, I like a bit of green on my leeks at table.
One neat trick is to drop an old loo roll over the leek just before
they overwinter - you get a semi-blanched effect which works quite
well.

g.. Start harvesting when they are still quite small - and as and
when you need them. Lift them gently with a fork.

I've still got a stand of Musselburgh in good shape - this is the
latest I've ever had them. Either the weather's been good to them, or
I've eaten less leeks this winter!

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 28-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Roy Bailey

In article , Kman
writes
I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots up
to 6 inches long.

You must have started growing these last autumn! I am only just thinking
about sowing this year's seed.

I grow Musselburgh, and they overwinter, so we are now eating leeks
planted this time last year.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM
Exhibition leeks tony United Kingdom 0 29-10-2002 03:22 PM