Old 12-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered User

Default Advice Needed: Raising my Garden

Hi Guys,

I have quite a large garden (for me anyway) which is about 8Mtrs by
5Mtrs. Its mainly grass except one side where there is white gravel
and pots.....

The big problem is that the garden dips really badly and the middle
of the garden is about 20 Inches lower than the edges, the grass
slopes down sharply at each side (the kids love rolling down it). This
causes two problems, firstly, the grass gets very water logged in
Winter and there is tree roots coming up through the grass in the
middle.

My aim is to level it off completely so that its one standard level. I
would then like to slab one half and leave one half grass for the kids
swing etc.

What is the best way of doing this. I am not a gardener and dont
relish the work involved (I get bored gardening very quickly, about
the time it takes to mow the grass

Would I be better filling it with Pete/Clay or should I use something
else like Gravel or builders rubble. If so, the garden is in the back
and you get to it by a small alleyway about a meter in width (enough
for a wheelbarrow).

So my question is, What do I need, Where do I get the stuff from, what
would a likely cost be and is there really no option but to
wheelbarrow the stuff from the road at the front to back.... I realise
there will probably need to be lots of it.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Craig
Old 19-02-2006, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Crazy Dog

kingspod wrote:

[...]

If you're near the east of Birmingham, UK you're welcome to some of
mine. I'm lowering it by stripping topsoil, stripping out whatever I
find below that, then putting the topsoil back in. If you can get your
hands on a trailer I've got a car with a towbar. There probably wouldn't
be enough to finish your job but it would be a step in the right direction.

Raising Seedlings John Stokes Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Raising the level. Nick Spalding United Kingdom 0 20-02-2003 06:17 PM
Raising the PH 2. William Anderson United Kingdom 2 26-01-2003 09:24 PM
raising PH levels Rod United Kingdom 0 24-01-2003 08:41 PM
raising PH levels William Anderson United Kingdom 2 23-01-2003 09:17 PM