Old 17-02-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Salvia uliginosa

Salvia ulignosa.
This is the first winter I've had this plant and I expected it to be cut
down by the frost, indeed I was worried that I hadn't taken cuttings as a
precaution. However it's still as tall as ever and looking nice and green
and healthy with new growths showing along the stems.
So what should I do?
Cut it back to just above ground level, and when should that be done.
Leave it alone, but won't it get too straggly and top heavy.
Plants seldom do what you expect do they.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 18-02-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" asked

Salvia ulignosa.
This is the first winter I've had this plant and I expected it to be cut
down by the frost, indeed I was worried that I hadn't taken cuttings as a
precaution. However it's still as tall as ever and looking nice and green
and healthy with new growths showing along the stems.
So what should I do?
Cut it back to just above ground level, and when should that be done.
Leave it alone, but won't it get too straggly and top heavy.
Plants seldom do what you expect do they.

Ray's a bit of a Salvia freak and this is one we grow in the garden and
for
sale in the nursery. He recommends that you leave it alone and then tidy
it
up in the spring.

Thanks Sacha I'll give it a haircut in a month or two.

Old 19-02-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steele Family

Hi there,
What a great plant this is. I bought one a couple of years ago to put in my
new front garden. It sits under my lounge window and faces east. I live in
Worthing on the south coast.
Last year, although we had a much milder winter, I made the mistake of
cutting it down too soon and too vigorously as it had really grown enormous
in the autumn. Along came a bit of a frost in Jan/Feb to blacken any
remaining green growth and I thought that was the end of it but the wood was
really thick and the plant much hardier than I was led to believe. This
year, I did cut a bit down but played it much more cautiously and even with
the harsh frosts and cold weather, it looks better.
It's now 3 years old I think. The autumn and winter of 2004, it looked
stunning with its whirls of pretty blue flowers. Even flowers on it on
Christmas day that year.
Also, I found it thrived on being cut in the summer and autumn,constantly
producing new flowers. I should think at it's biggest, it spread to 3 ft
wide and 4- 5 ft high.
All in all, a wonderful plant. If yours likes its situation, you should find
it romping away this year as mine did in its second season.
See enclosed photo.
Regards,
Liz.