Old 19-02-2006, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john thompson

Default Moss in the Lawn

I have two acres of lawn and it is very badly infected with moos I have
tried to remove it with sulphate of iron it kills it off and it returns the
following year as bad as ever
Ihave tried letting thegrass grow longer in th esummer totry to smother it
but again no real difference can any one help me with this problem I live
in Scotland

Old 19-02-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cereus-validus-...........

Default Moose in the Lawn

Make up your mind.

Is it moss or moose?

Removing moose can be very difficult.

How they got to Scotland is a mystery.

. uk...

Old 20-02-2006, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

Rising rainfall in Scotland means most lawns are getting mossier :-(.
The moss receddes slightly in drier summer weather. You can hire a
petrol driven scarifier to rake out the worst of it, (or electric, for
smaller lawns than yours), then you have to rake it off and dispose of
it.

Well, Janet, Terry Lynock wants some: we could send him up with a rake...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 20-02-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
john thompson wrote:
I have two acres of lawn and it is very badly infected with moos I have
tried to remove it with sulphate of iron it kills it off and it returns the
following year as bad as ever
Ihave tried letting thegrass grow longer in th esummer totry to smother it
but again no real difference can any one help me with this problem I live

You have two options: learn to love it, or dig up your lawn and
vastly improve the drainage. Take your pick.

And, just to set a certain seriously invalid interjector right,
this is from the OED:

Forms: OE-16 mos, lOE-16 mose, eME musse, eME-16 (17-18 arch.) mosse,
ME- moss, lME moes, moos, mosh, mossh, muse, 17 (U.S. regional) morse,
18- (Eng. regional) moze, 19- (Eng. regional) mose; Sc. pre-17 moase,
moasse, mois, moiss, moisse, mooss, mos, mose, pre-17 17 (18 arch.) mosse,
pre-17 17- moss

Plus, of course, it is spelled moos in German.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-02-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:29:59 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

Make up your mind.

Is it moss or moose?

Removing moose can be very difficult.

How they got to Scotland is a mystery.

Didnt they walk over on the ice ?

Old 20-02-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Dave the exTrailer writes:
| On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 22:29:59 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
| wrote:
|
| Removing moose can be very difficult.
|
| How they got to Scotland is a mystery.
|
| Didnt they walk over on the ice ?

No, it was dry land at the time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-02-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"john thompson" wrote in message
. uk...
I have two acres of lawn and it is very badly infected with moos

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote
in message ...
Make up your mind.

Is it moss or moose?

Removing moose can be very difficult.

How they got to Scotland is a mystery.

Moose are good swimmers and can manage 6 miles per hour.

If the OP lives sufficiently inland the moose could have
already dried themselves off before reaching his house
and so it wouldn't have been all that obvious.

hth.

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/moose.htm

michael adams

Old 20-02-2006, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:
| |
| | Removing moose can be very difficult.
| |
| | How they got to Scotland is a mystery.
| |
| | Didnt they walk over on the ice ?
|
| No, it was dry land at the time.
|
| Holy Moses!
|
| Or do I mean Mosses?
|
| Or even Mooses?

Or even Mouses (as the thread refers to Scotland).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 20-02-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

wrote:

Make up your mind.

Is it moss or moose?

Removing moose can be very difficult.

How they got to Scotland is a mystery.

Didnt they walk over on the ice ?

One would imagine that the moose would eat the moss..........
Jenny

Old 20-02-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"john thompson" wrote in message
. uk...
I have two acres of lawn and it is very badly infected with moos I have
tried to remove it with sulphate of iron it kills it off and it returns the
following year as bad as ever
Ihave tried letting thegrass grow longer in th esummer totry to smother it
but again no real difference can any one help me with this problem I live
in Scotland

I don't have a lawn but I would imagine that you should:
-Rake of as much as possible
-Aerate the lawn
-Improve the drainage
-remove shade if possible ?
Jenny

Old 21-02-2006, 02:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Didnt they walk over on the ice ?

One would imagine that the moose would eat the moss..........

No, that's reindeer - back to wet things, I see.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 21-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered User

Location: Uk, Lincolnshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by john thompson
I have two acres of lawn and it is very badly infected with moos I have
tried to remove it with sulphate of iron it kills it off and it returns the
following year as bad as ever
Ihave tried letting thegrass grow longer in th esummer totry to smother it
but again no real difference can any one help me with this problem I live
in Scotland
Here are a few things you can try, Mr. Mooose
Raise height of cut (which you have)
Increase fertility
Improve soil drainage, buy coring
Verti cut or scarify
Improve air movement and sun light by pruning tree's etc.

Good hunting