Old 20-02-2006, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle-C

Default Yew Tree out of control - pruning advice required !

Hi folks.
Over the past year, and for no apparent reason, the Yew tree in my
garden seems to have found a new lease of life and has grown
significantly. I am not particularly concerned of its height ( 20ft)
but more of its girth. The branches are spreading rapidly and will
block sunlight as well has affect my lawn this year. It needs a serious
hacking ! This is something which I haven't tackled yet and any
pointers would be most helpful. Is this the best time of year to do the
job ? Can I safely hack myself or would a professional be advisable.
How far down ( to the trunk) and how much can I / should chop off. Are
there any WWW sites which show illustrated practical advice on the
subject. I 'm worried about by Jasmin and Rambling rose bush which
will be stiffled because of lack of sun, and also my lawn which is
showing signs of malaise because of the lack of light + constant
falling of Yew leaves / needles. I am not particularly worried if the
tree looks ugly and "stumpy" for a year so long as my lawn and flowers
are ok and the tree can regain some of its old shape. Unfortunately, it
very rarely needs pruning because it hasn't grown as rapidly as over
the past year. And another thing, it no longer produces the red berries
like it used to about 15-20 years ago !
Please help or else the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Roses will be after me !!! Thanks !!!

Uncle-C

Chalky High Wycombe.

Old 20-02-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 20/2/06 12:57, in article
, "Uncle-C"
wrote:

Hi folks.
Over the past year, and for no apparent reason, the Yew tree in my
garden seems to have found a new lease of life and has grown
significantly. I am not particularly concerned of its height ( 20ft)
but more of its girth. The branches are spreading rapidly and will
block sunlight as well has affect my lawn this year. It needs a serious
hacking ! This is something which I haven't tackled yet and any
pointers would be most helpful. Is this the best time of year to do the
job ? Can I safely hack myself or would a professional be advisable.

snip

Yew trees can be cut back into hard and will re-grow from pretty much
anywhere they've been cut. We've got several down a path and they back a
shrub border. This year they've had the most severe haircut imaginable

and
are fine - it was long overdue! Do it before birds start nesting, though
and if in doubt, get a professional. Only you know how good you are with

saw or lopping shears. ;-) If you're artistic and dexterous, try

topiary!

This site is interesting:
http://www.arborecology.co.uk/articl...ng_context.htm
--
Sacha

Indeed, I have two 150 year old ones and I did a spot of chain saw pruning
when we first arrived, after a few years they look as if nothing has
happened (except they are a lot smaller!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-03-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Indeed, I have two 150 year old ones and I did a spot of chain saw pruning
when we first arrived, after a few years they look as if nothing has
happened (except they are a lot smaller!)

You wait till your back is turned!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig