Old 01-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Potsie

Default HELP! Poor drainage

I have had to demolish a very old very large greenhouse. It was 12m x
2.5m and backed onto a large south-facing wall. Now it has been
removed I am left with the large south-facing wall and the
greenhouse's foundations (tiles floor etc) that look to be there for
good as they are set in concrete. Can anyone recommend how deep a bed
is required to cover these foundations and still support some growth
above. Obviously I'd like to dig the foundations out, but this is not
possible. Would just grassing the area require less depth than having
a large border? How should I deal with the poor drainage?

I am close to gravelling ober the whole area, which would be easy and
cheap, but rather a shame and a waste of the fabulous sun-trap that
the wall provides.

Many thanks for any suggestions

Richad
Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , (Potsie) writes:
| I have had to demolish a very old very large greenhouse. It was 12m x
| 2.5m and backed onto a large south-facing wall. Now it has been
| removed I am left with the large south-facing wall and the
| greenhouse's foundations (tiles floor etc) that look to be there for
| good as they are set in concrete. Can anyone recommend how deep a bed
| is required to cover these foundations and still support some growth
| above. Obviously I'd like to dig the foundations out, but this is not
| possible. Would just grassing the area require less depth than having
| a large border? How should I deal with the poor drainage?

Do you have access? Don't overestimate the cost of breaking up and
removing a concrete slab - most smaller builders will give you a
reasonable quote if they can fit the job in when it suits them.
But they need reasonable access to remove the rubble.

| I am close to gravelling ober the whole area, which would be easy and
| cheap, but rather a shame and a waste of the fabulous sun-trap that
| the wall provides.

If you are any good at simple DIY, then laying your own bricks or
slabs makes a much better patio. You can then put some large pots
on it and have a Mediterranean style location for warm summer
evenings. If we get any, of course!

Cormaic's pages are, of course, the standard reference. And, again,
paying someone to lay bricks or the cheaper paving on a prepared
surface isn't as expensive as all that. The preparation is a
significant proportion of the cost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.