Old 02-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Felton Zimmerman

Default HOW MANY WHEELBARROWS ARE SOLD IN THE U.S

does anyone know how many wheelbarrows are sold in the USA?
or can you tell me how to find out?
Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
bnd777

Not too many I reckon
Since most USA gardens simply do not receive the kind of attention UK ones
get

om...

Old 02-04-2003, 07:08 PM
anton

Felton Zimmerman wrote in message ...
does anyone know how many wheelbarrows are sold in the USA?
or can you tell me how to find out?

300 million population = say 150million? households.
20%? of households use wheelbarrows and buy
a new one once every ?5 years.

So 6 million are sold per year.

Er- those are all guesses.

--
Anton

Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
ned

anton wrote:
Felton Zimmerman wrote in message ...
does anyone know how many wheelbarrows are sold in the USA?
or can you tell me how to find out?

300 million population = say 150million? households.
20%? of households use wheelbarrows and buy
a new one once every ?5 years.

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they have
any left. ;-)

--
ned

....... isn't it a shame that common sense
is not all that common.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Natalie

"
???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they have
any left. ;-)

Well that was well worth the money Ned ;-)

Natalie

Old 02-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ned wrote:
anton wrote:
Felton Zimmerman wrote in message ...
does anyone know how many wheelbarrows are sold in the USA?
or can you tell me how to find out?

300 million population = say 150million? households.
20%? of households use wheelbarrows and buy
a new one once every ?5 years.

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they have
any left. ;-)

I doubt it! Pence were 'd' in 1964 :-)

You mean 3 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence, I assume?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Gary Woods

"bnd777" wrote:

Not too many I reckon
Since most USA gardens simply do not receive the kind of attention UK ones
get

Many of us buy those big-wheeled plywood carts, because they're better
suited to carrying the huge excess of material grown and used in the
typical gigantic garden in the USA.
Hey, I'm willing to work with the stereotypes, even if I loathe SUVs.
Seriously, my cart finally gave up the ghost, much like the 1-horse shay.
Pretty much everything on it is worn out, after only 27 years of hard use,
and replacing all the wood at least a couple of times. I'm pretty annoyed
with such shoddy construction, but I've bought another, currently in its
two cartons in the front hall, awaiting assembly.
Let me hasten to add that I only have one shed.

Cheers!

Old 02-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they have
any left. ;-)

I doubt it! Pence were 'd' in 1964 :-)

You mean 3 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence, I assume?

nah, he means 63/6d - don't you remember the habit of quoting everything
in shillings? Shoes always seemed to be 49/11d
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-04-2003, 11:08 PM
anton

ned wrote in message ...
anton wrote:
20%? of households use wheelbarrows and buy
a new one once every ?5 years.

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.

Aha- you haven't been using it hard enough. I work mine
8 times harder than yours ;-)

--
Anton

Old 02-04-2003, 11:20 PM
ned

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
ned wrote:
anton wrote:
Felton Zimmerman wrote in message ...
does anyone know how many wheelbarrows are sold in the USA?
or can you tell me how to find out?

300 million population = say 150million? households.
20%? of households use wheelbarrows and buy
a new one once every ?5 years.

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they
have any left. ;-)

I doubt it! Pence were 'd' in 1964 :-)

You mean 3 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence, I assume?

Right, you jolly well are. ;-)
It's a 'Victor' model from the 'Ironcrete' range, sold with an
unconditional guarantee against faulty workmanship.

Old 03-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they have
any left. ;-)

I doubt it! Pence were 'd' in 1964 :-)

You mean 3 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence, I assume?

nah, he means 63/6d - don't you remember the habit of quoting everything
in shillings? Shoes always seemed to be 49/11d

63/6d pronounced sixtythree and six, for the younger urglers. That was
quite a lot of money in 1964 :-)

Janet.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

???? I have a fully functioning 39 year old wheelbarrow
purchased for 63/6p in 1964.
I can even tell you where I got it - if you want to see if they have
any left. ;-)

I doubt it! Pence were 'd' in 1964 :-)

You mean 3 pounds 3 shillings and 6 pence, I assume?

nah, he means 63/6d - don't you remember the habit of quoting everything
in shillings? Shoes always seemed to be 49/11d

Yes, I remember, but I also remember the habit of writing 6 pounds
3 shillings and 6 pence as 6 3/6. Hence the query.

Now I come to think of it, why was I interested in the exact price
of a wheelbarrow in 1964? Bizarre. But that's why I asked.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

snip
nah, he means 63/6d - don't you remember the habit of quoting

everything
in shillings? Shoes always seemed to be 49/11d
--
Kay Easton

Kay,

Yes, Dolcis shoes - 49/11d, 59/11d, 69/11d, 79/11d and the really
expensive ones, 89/11d!

Regards
Iris McCanna

Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Paul Kelly wrote:

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

Yes, Dolcis shoes - 49/11d, 59/11d, 69/11d, 79/11d and the really
expensive ones, 89/11d!

I'm trying to put these numbers in proper context. How much was a pint of
beer then?

If I remember correctly, under a couple of bob. I remember Watney's
Gaslight being 11 pence, but that may have been a half. Anyway, it
was distinguished by being a 'beer' that you could drink several
pints of at lunchtime without affecting your ability to think in the
afternoon.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.