Old 26-02-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Puke won't, that's for sure.

Another troll ... How amusing.

Old 26-02-2006, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pedt

In message .com, at
07:20:24 on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, La Puce wibbled

[xpost in previous article replied to is removed, urg only]

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

Why don't you and Pedt go and discuss this somewhere else than
uk.gardening and stop crossposting yourself. That would be a start.

Thank you in advance and anticipation of your departure. Bye.

I left the x-post in as the suggestion I rebutted would not have helped
urg in the slightest and was supposed to help urg readers not go off on
wild goose chases. You probably won't like the rest of this post either.
However, for those using news readers than can filter on headers and
might appreciate a bit of help, 95% of the flood is coming via a machine
with an open relay from someone who uses rcn as their provider.

If you can set filtering on the relevant headers, the bits at the moment
to kill 95%+ are

Of other interest for those able to filter on any header
rec.ponds: 0wned
uk.rec.gardening: 0wned
then the '0wned' bit will kill most but is perhaps slightly less
efficacious as a subject might contain it.

(that's a zero not a capital 'O').

In Turnpike, which I use, any of

/news\.rcn\.net/h
/NNTP\-Posting\-Host: 24\.136\.10\.82/h
/X\-Complaints\-To:
/h
/0wned/h

does the job to kill 95%+ of the floods over the last 4 days. Should
help those who can filter on other than the From: when looking at the
help file for their software in writing a suitable rule.

[notes to help when converting rule into what your own software wants
for a rule]
/ start of rule
\ is for escaping the following character that would otherwise have a
different meaning - eg a . usually means any character, if you want
it to actually mean a . then it needs to be escaped.
/h to be found in the article headers

Doesn't help users of Google as there's no way to apply filters on the
headers needed. Probably won't help users of Outlook (Express) either
as they can't kill on those headers.

Newsproxy is perhaps useful for those using news clients that cannot
filter on all headers. Haven't got a link to the last available version
of it to hand but could find one or pop it onto webspace if it would be
useful to some. Basically, you put it between your access to newsgroups
from a news client and the news server and it filters based on rules you
give it.

Windows users might also want to look at

XNews http://xnews.newsguy.com/
SLRN http://www.slrn.org/

Both are free, there's a client available running under Windows and can
filter on any headers. But there is, obviously, a learning curve in a
change of news software.

Maybe switching to news.individual.net as a news provider is an option
for a few euros a year, only a trickle have made it through that news
provider based on tests I did today.

It would be worth a few people writing with a small[1] sample of posts
suggesting they get their customer to close the open
relay - if nothing else if knocks one off the possibilities for further
abuse.

[1] First and last of each flooding period (and with a rough count of
the number in between if you can do it) is best. Whilst some abuse@ are
pretty good at acting on a single complaint with sufficient information,
a few more doesn't harm and rcn.net, based on my own past experience of
them, are more likely to chat to their user who has an open relay with a
few complaints. Do remember that the user at the end of the injection
point of the flood is probably not the person who did the flood and a
reasonable suggestion to an abuse team they need to do something to
close the loophole is better than 'your user is the instigator of this'
- ie DON'T RANT. Don't bother going after the apparent From: as it is
forged.

HTH.
--
Pedt
uk.announce ~ moderated group to announce news / events of specific interest to
Old 26-02-2006, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pedt

In message .com, at
13:26:02 on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, La Puce wibbled

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Puke won't, that's for sure.

Another troll ... How amusing.

Whilst I have only posted here before when taking a vote that involved
this group, you are so wrong ~ as a simple bit of Googling would tell
you.

Old 26-02-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Ali Hopkins

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On 26 Feb 2006 10:58:59 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| Because uk.rec.gardening may learn something from the exchange.
|
|I see. It's getting a bit outta hand from where I'm sitting (
|
|Any way we can stop this?!?

Kill the thread. see sig.

But there were over a thousand threads!

Dragons needed. Apply within.

Ali

Old 26-02-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Lt. Cmdr. Jim

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Paul Harper wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:44:49 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:
Paul Harper wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 01:23:29 +0000, Ebb Chernobyl
.17.18.19.20.21
wrote:

In message, , Bobby B
******* spewed:

Is currently being flooded by Tykesground.

Something needs to be done about those sick Tykesground *******s.

Like what? Come up with a suggestion, and get it implemented or
stop posturing.

Nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

Yorkshire, or the gardening group? :-)

It's a difficult choice , I know.

Well, teh gardening group doesn't have breweries, AFAIK.

--
=/\= Lt. Cmdr. Jim =/\=
By our chocolate, shall they know us.

Old 26-02-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:44:49 -0000, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:

Change the charter of uk.rec.gardening to forbid any crossposting, and
enforce it with a cancelbot would work.

No it wouldn't.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-02-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:
k...
On 26 Feb 2006 07:20:24 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:
|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
|Why don't you and Pedt go and discuss this somewhere else than
|uk.gardening and stop crossposting yourself. That would be a start.

Because uk.rec.gardening may learn something from the exchange.

If we can find it in the middle of all the garbage.

You could always compost Fawthrop.

Please.

Would you spread the resuly on *YOUR* garden?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-02-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Molly Mockford

At 23:30:34 on Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Lt. Cmdr. Jim
wrote in :

wrote:

Nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

Yorkshire, or the gardening group? :-)

It's a difficult choice , I know.

Well, teh gardening group doesn't have breweries, AFAIK.

Sounds like time to RFD for a highly appropriate merger between the
gardening group and Ye Shedde.

books flight to South America
--
Molly
I don't speak for the Committee. If I ever do, it will be made
Old 27-02-2006, 01:13 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Lt. Cmdr. Jim" contains these words:

Nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

Yorkshire, or the gardening group? :-)

It's a difficult choice , I know.

Well, teh gardening group doesn't have breweries, AFAIK.

Does Yorkshire?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-02-2006, 01:15 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Molly Mockford contains these words:

Sounds like time to RFD for a highly appropriate merger between the
gardening group and Ye Shedde.

books flight to South America

You won't be safe there, you know - you'll find yourself being dragged
into Shedspace down the back of any sofa you dare to sit on.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 27-02-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Ali Hopkins

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Ali Hopkins" contains these words:
"someone here" wrote in message
k...
"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On 26 Feb 2006 07:20:24 -0800, "La Puce" wrote:
|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
|Why don't you and Pedt go and discuss this somewhere else than
|uk.gardening and stop crossposting yourself. That would be a start.

Because uk.rec.gardening may learn something from the exchange.

If we can find it in the middle of all the garbage.

You could always compost Fawthrop.

Please.

Would you spread the resuly on *YOUR* garden?

Good point. Toxic shock is not something I want on me petunias.

Ali

Old 27-02-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Lt. Cmdr. Jim" contains these words:

Nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

Yorkshire, or the gardening group? :-)

It's a difficult choice , I know.

Well, teh gardening group doesn't have breweries, AFAIK.

Does Yorkshire?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

We have several large breweries (chemical plants ) which churn out stuff
specifically for the refined Suthan taste.

Old 27-02-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Rupert
writes

We have several large breweries (chemical plants ) which churn out stuff
specifically for the refined Suthan taste.

The original Theakston brewery was near Bedale though I daresay they've
gone commercial now ..............
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-02-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Rupert writes

We have several large breweries (chemical plants ) which churn out stuff
specifically for the refined Suthan taste.

The original Theakston brewery was near Bedale though I daresay they've
gone commercial now ..............
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Well they did get shunted in with Scottish and Newcastle and then went back
to Family owned a few years ago. Meanwhile one of the Family set up a new
Brewery called "Black Sheep".
Both are going strong as are the ales.

Old 27-02-2006, 01:26 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

Well, teh gardening group doesn't have breweries, AFAIK.

Does Yorkshire?

We have several large breweries (chemical plants ) which churn out stuff
specifically for the refined Suthan taste.

I have some decent breweries within walking distance. [1]

[1] Buffy's, and Wolf, to name but two.

Indeed, I have a vulture for a pint of any Buffy's brew, handwritten by
Buffy's owner in a Norwich pub.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig