Old 04-03-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

Default uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:48:59 +0000, Mark Goodge
wrote:

|On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:22:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop put finger to
|keyboard and typed:

|The *principle* of cancellation for posts with a BI of more than 20 has
|already been accepted for *years*. My suggestion is only an extension of
|this.
|
|Spam cancellation is content-neutral

As would be cancellation of all crossposts.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:01:01 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

|Dave - pack it in. History shows that spammers seem to stick to you
|like the proverbial unmentionable stuff to a blanket. We don't want any
|more here.

It is actually the *trolls/wreckers* who hate my guts because I blow the
whistle on their methods, see sig. I never ever submit to bullying by
them or anyone else. My mother, a teacher, mumble years ago taught me,
when confronted with bullies, to stick up for myself. This IME works very
well.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
Old 04-03-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Mark Goodge

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:42:42 +0000, Dave Fawthrop put finger to
keyboard and typed:

wrote:

|On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:22:43 +0000, Dave Fawthrop put finger to
|keyboard and typed:

|The *principle* of cancellation for posts with a BI of more than 20 has
|already been accepted for *years*. My suggestion is only an extension of
|this.
|
|Spam cancellation is content-neutral

As would be cancellation of all crossposts.

You snipped the part of my previous comment where I pointed out that
spam cancellation is also charter-neutral. It needs to be both
content-neutral *and* charter-neutral for it not to be a form of
retromoderation.

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.OrangeHedgehog.com - Useful stuff for the web
Listen: http://www.goodge.co.uk/files/dweeb.mp3 - you'll love it!
Old 05-03-2006, 06:53 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Pedt

In message , at 10:50:53 on
Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Dave Fawthrop
wibbled

[followup to unnc only, see last paragraph]

wrote:

|Dave - pack it in. History shows that spammers seem to stick to you
|like the proverbial unmentionable stuff to a blanket. We don't want any
|more here.

It is actually the *trolls/wreckers* who hate my guts because I blow the
whistle on their methods, see sig. I never ever submit to bullying by
them or anyone else. My mother, a teacher, mumble years ago taught me,
when confronted with bullies, to stick up for myself. This IME works very
well.

Look at the following from the document "Anti Troll FAQ" referencing in
your .sig.

quote
5.9 Give them a good (virtual) st*ff*ng.

Pro:

It is very satisfying.

Con:

Some would say that it makes things worse because it gives them the
attention which they crave.

At best it becomes a war of attrition.
/quote

So you're saying (in conjunction with your post above) that it gives
you satisfaction to respond to trolls, it may give them satisfaction
that they get a response and *at best* it becomes a war of attrition.

No two ways about it, you are part of the problem.

ISTM, having dropped into urg to take a quick look as a current flood
was mentioned here in unnc, that urglers aren't exactly keen on a war
of attrition. June's suggestion you take your crusade elsewhere seems
pretty sensible to me having read the non-xposted stuff.

--
Pedt
uk.announce ~ moderated group to announce news / events of specific interest to
Old 05-03-2006, 07:57 AM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Paul Harper

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:16:36 +0000, Dave the exTrailer
wrote:

Please **** off from uk.rec.gardening

We really arent interested in your pompous know it all crap

Or punctuation, apparently.

Paul.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug

wrote:

Please **** off from uk.rec.gardening

We really arent interested in your pompous know it all crap

Or punctuation, apparently.

Paul.

**********
There is only one antidote to spammers and trolls.
..... Silence.
Doug.
**********

Old 06-03-2006, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:19:59 -0000, "doug"
wrote:

|There is only one antidote to spammers and trolls.
| ..... Silence.

Which is unfortunately ineffective :-(
Old 06-03-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:19:59 -0000, "doug"
|wrote:
|
||There is only one antidote to spammers and trolls.
|| ..... Silence.
|
|Which is unfortunately ineffective :-(
|
|For some reason you never tried it.

Tried it for years, it didn't work :-(
Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 PM posted to uk.net.news.config,uk.rec.gardening
Dave J.

In within uk.net.news.config, 'Charles
Lindsey' wrote:

In Dave J. writes:

An AI cancelbot that could automatically remove messages that contain
nothing but off topic rants about trollery, perhaps along with code that
auto-removed any message deemed pointless other than its wind up capacity
for a potential troll, now that would have wondrous results I think.

That is a technique known as "retro-moderation". It is specifically
forbidden by our Guidelines.

If such a magical piece of code as the above were possible then I'd
merrily propose the RFD needed to change that restriction.

Retro moderation works ok for removing spam, it'd be quite acceptable for
removing the triggers of the trollery, thus indirectly removing one of
Fawthrob's favorite excuses for his interminable whining, so all told I
think the benefits would be quite wide ranging.

Dave J.