Old 28-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancaster United Kingdom
Default Bijou lettuce

Hi was wondering if some one could clear up a little pickle I have gottan myself into!! I bought the above lettuce seeds, and read in the seed catalogue that it is a loose leaf variety which means it does not form a heart, correct? Now with most other lettuces, like the butterheads, you pull the whole plant up when you want to use it, correct?

Now, with the Bijou lettuce, my book, the Vegetable Expert, says to pull up the whole plant when you want to use it, but the catalogue says to use it like spinach where you pull a few leaves from a plant at any one time. Should I do the latter, that is keep it in like spinach, as it is young tender leaves that I would like to have.

Would also be grateful to know if this is a good variety of lettuce and above all else, is it tasty?!

Thanks in advanced

Dave
Old 01-03-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:44:59 +0000, davidmaynard1
wrote:

(snip)

Now, with the Bijou lettuce, my book, the Vegetable Expert, says to
pull up the whole plant when you want to use it, but the catalogue says
to use it like spinach where you pull a few leaves from a plant at any
one time. Should I do the latter, that is keep it in like spinach, as
it is young tender leaves that I would like to have.

Would also be grateful to know if this is a good variety of lettuce and
above all else, is it tasty?!

Thanks in advanced

Dave

I've never grown Bijou but I never pull up a whole lettuce till
they're running to seed. I just pull off as many leaves as I need -
taking the outer one or two from half a dozen lettuces and the next
time the outer one or two from another half dozen and they last for
ages.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply