Old 02-03-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Microsoft News Server

Default GQT

Hi,

On GQT last Sunday, the subject of Chelsea show was discussed and about 90
odd % I think it was, of listeners were very vocal about what they would
like to see changed. At the end of the programme, there was going to be a
response from the RHS, but............. someone arrived at the door and I
missed it :-(
.............. so, please can someone tell me whether there is likely to be
an improvement in the TV coverage this year.

Ever hopeful,
Marina
E. Sx

Old 02-03-2006, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

why not listen to the program again on the bbc radio player at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/gqt
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, S Yorkshire

Old 03-03-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , Microsoft News Server
writes
Hi,

On GQT last Sunday, the subject of Chelsea show was discussed and about 90
odd % I think it was, of listeners were very vocal about what they would
like to see changed. At the end of the programme, there was going to be a
response from the RHS, but............. someone arrived at the door and I
missed it :-(
............. so, please can someone tell me whether there is likely to be
an improvement in the TV coverage this year.

Ever hopeful,
Marina
E. Sx

I listened to it on the computer last night and they didn't have an
interview as far as I can remember they just said that the BBC had said
that they had to produce 'popular' programmes, the producer wasn't "in
the game of producing highbrow stuff for the 8pm audience", or
something just as banal....................

They did hint that the RHS are now finally muttering, presumably because
so many members are cross as well.
Glad all the letter writers thought the posturing of Hard Landscape Man
(aka D Gavin) the most off putting part of the television show

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/3/06 9:28, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

[...]

The 'rebellion' was even mentioned in one of the trade press this week with
a hearty endorsement for those complaining at the poor presentation of
Chelsea as Chelsea. From what I read, the producer said he'd been told to
produce a popular programme. Presumably, those instructing him think that
the ultimate show on gardening, garden design and plants is FAR too dull to
hold peoples' attention!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-03-2006, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Janet Tweedy wrote:

I listened to it on the computer last night and they didn't have an
interview as far as I can remember they just said that the BBC had said
that they had to produce 'popular' programmes, the producer wasn't "in
the game of producing highbrow stuff for the 8pm audience", or
something just as banal....................

Sounds like he's miserably failed to create a "popular" programme in
any case. What he should have done is got Ant & Dec and Sharon Osbourne
to present it and vote one of the show garden teams out every night,
selected by viewer phone in.

These days it seems like "highbrow" seems to mean "having an audience
who can remember what happened before the adverts"

James

Old 03-03-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Microsoft News Server

"James Fidell" wrote in message
Janet Tweedy wrote:

I listened to it on the computer last night and they didn't have an
interview as far as I can remember they just said that the BBC had said
that they had to produce 'popular' programmes, the producer wasn't "in
the game of producing highbrow stuff for the 8pm audience", or
something just as banal....................

Sounds like he's miserably failed to create a "popular" programme in
any case. What he should have done is got Ant & Dec and Sharon Osbourne
to present it and vote one of the show garden teams out every night,
selected by viewer phone in.

These days it seems like "highbrow" seems to mean "having an audience
who can remember what happened before the adverts"

James

Thanks for the replies. So basically, don't hold your breath that it will
change for the better :-(

Marina
E. Sx

Easter Sunday's GQT Sacha United Kingdom 0 12-04-2006 06:36 PM
GQT giggles Mike Lyle United Kingdom 1 27-03-2005 05:33 PM
GQT. Cherry tree recommendation? Lee and Kath United Kingdom 3 31-10-2004 09:20 AM
GQT/Jenny? Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 10-04-2004 08:07 PM
GQT plant of the week for 29p Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 07:45 PM