Old 12-03-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Alnus rubra

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:35:55 +0000
Sacha wrote:

On 12/3/06 15:50, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:45:03 +0000
Sacha wrote:

snip

[]
Have you got an Acer called 'Autumn Glory'? I've just read about it on the
PMA site (which is Junkers Nursery and is reconstructing its web site which
might be why it didn't load properly) and it says it was derived from those
at The Garden House, Buckland Monachorum. The description of its autumn
coloration is absolutely mouth watering!

I don't. What species is it? I find two 'Autumn Glory' in the
literature, but one (palmatum) is from the Kalmthout Arboretum
in Belgium (and sounds less than spectacular), and the other
(rubrum) was selected from a tree in Ohio. The Junkers site
is not working for me at the mo.

Here's the info from the web site. It suddenly loaded beautifully so
perhaps whatever 'it' was has been fixed in the last hour or so!
"ACER palmatum 'Autumn Glory'Â*
Derived from the handsome specimens at The Garden House, Buckland
Monochorum. Broad headed. Bronze tinted young growth becomes green in the
summer. The name gives away their raison d'être though - all manner of
colours can be seen, although my favourite stage has the leaves yellow with
a bright red edge. 3m

It just came up for me, too. Very interesting! But a bit cavalier with
names sometimes. I see that they will have my 'Millicent' this fall,
which is amazing -- I have yet to get one from Mallet Court, where
Harris selected and named it! So, I will certainly order one from
them if he can't come up with one for me this spring.

There are some other interesting cultivars that are still rare,
like Autumn Showers.

Not sure what to think about the naming of 'Autumn Glory',
it doesn't seem to correspond to the description in either
de Jong or Vertrees. The latter says:

"This cultivar name was applied to a few selected seedlings which
were notable for their beautiful fall coloration patterns -- mostly
crimson. These maples were selected and introduced by R. de Belder
of the Arboretum Kalmthout, Belgium, about 1958 and commercially
distributed out of the Netherlands. The fall coloring has proven
inconsistent in different places, raising the question whether this
form deserves cultivar status. The leaves are broad with 5 or 7 lobes
divided up to halfway to the leaf base. These upright small trees
of 4 - 6 m for a broad canopy."

Perhaps they took grafting material from a mature grafted
specimen. All very confusing, as usual.

Anyway thanks for the great source.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to

Old 13-03-2006, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/3/06 17:21, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

(about Acers)

snip
Not sure what to think about the naming of 'Autumn Glory',
it doesn't seem to correspond to the description in either
de Jong or Vertrees. The latter says:

"This cultivar name was applied to a few selected seedlings which
were notable for their beautiful fall coloration patterns -- mostly
crimson. These maples were selected and introduced by R. de Belder
of the Arboretum Kalmthout, Belgium, about 1958 and commercially
distributed out of the Netherlands. The fall coloring has proven
inconsistent in different places, raising the question whether this
form deserves cultivar status. The leaves are broad with 5 or 7 lobes
divided up to halfway to the leaf base. These upright small trees
of 4 - 6 m for a broad canopy."

Perhaps they took grafting material from a mature grafted
specimen. All very confusing, as usual.

Anyway thanks for the great source.

You're most welcome. I'm quite tempted to get one of the Acer 'Autumn Glory'
and see how it does turn out. I'll let you know if I succumb. ;-)
In the meantime, Ray has planted the Acer Glade, as he calls it, placing
several around the ex-duck pond and putting some ferns we bought at
Abbotsbury, in the front. I think and hope it's going to be very pretty and
a real asset to the garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-03-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 06:00:24 +0000
Sacha wrote:

[snip]
You're most welcome. I'm quite tempted to get one of the Acer 'Autumn Glory'
and see how it does turn out. I'll let you know if I succumb. ;-)

Hi Sacha,

Just gathering wool at Esveld, came across this pictorial of
Autumn Glory that might be of interest.

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acpagl.htm

As usual, Esveld is a goldmine!

cheers,

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Alnus maximowiczii Sacha[_10_] United Kingdom 2 16-01-2013 03:01 PM
How do I keep Alnus pollen viable for months? Michael Bell United Kingdom 0 26-03-2010 10:30 AM
Plumeria Rubra Wendy7 Garden Photos 1 06-08-2007 11:02 PM
Alnus Sacha United Kingdom 19 03-03-2006 02:06 PM
is this Rubra? Tippi Ponds 0 14-06-2004 05:09 AM