Old 12-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Lancaster United Kingdom
Default Early Leeks

Hi

I have the seeds for the Lyon2 Prizetaker which is an early strain variety.

I was reading the Vegetable Expert by Dr. Hessayon, that Leeks like full sun. Now where I want to grow my Leeks only gets sun for the afternoon; about 2pm onwards; is it Ok to grow then there?

I know brassicas don't mind being partly shaded. I also know that root crops need full sun. Correct me if I’m wrong!

One other questions relating to brassicas, my Cauliflowers (Walcheren Winter, Armado April) are about the heart, how do I bend the leaves over the developing curd?

Many thanks

Dave
Old 12-03-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"davidmaynard1" wrote in message
:
: Hi
:
: I have the seeds for the Lyon2 Prizetaker which is an early strain
: variety.
:
: I was reading the Vegetable Expert by Dr. Hessayon, that Leeks like
: full sun. Now where I want to grow my Leeks only gets sun for the
: afternoon; about 2pm onwards; is it Ok to grow then there?

I think leeks will do reasonably well in that situation but as with most
veg, the more sunlight the better. A few years ago scientists were trying to
isolate the gene? in leeks that allowed them to continue growing in the
depths of winter but I don't know if anything came of this. Also beware of
sowing too early as it's a bit disappointing if they start going to seed in
the summer, which has happened to mine previously

Old 12-03-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:34:34 +0000, davidmaynard1
wrote:

Hi

I have the seeds for the Lyon2 Prizetaker which is an early strain
variety.

I was reading the Vegetable Expert by Dr. Hessayon, that Leeks like
full sun. Now where I want to grow my Leeks only gets sun for the
afternoon; about 2pm onwards; is it Ok to grow then there?

I know brassicas don't mind being partly shaded. I also know that root
crops need full sun. Correct me if I’m wrong!

One other questions relating to brassicas, my Cauliflowers (Walcheren
Winter, Armado April) are about the heart, how do I bend the leaves
over the developing curd?

Many thanks

Dave

I had the opposite problem - my leeks only got sunshine for a couple
of hours in the middle of the day but if yours get sunshine from 2pm
that's at least twice as much as mine got. I can't remember what
variety I grew but they didn't do very well and I gave up in the end.
If you have no other option about where to grow them I'd give them a
go, though.

AFAIK you have to break the cauliflower leaves to get them to go over
the curd.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply