Old 12-03-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default **HOW'S SCOTLAND DOING?**

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:11:54 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Woke up to three inches of snow this morning, the most that has ever
fallen on this garden since we came to Arran. Dog was dumbfounded :-)

I gather Glasgow has snow refugees caught in town overnight, and
Ayrshire was badly hit too..how are you Joan?

Janet

We had about six inches I think, but very high winds which caused
drifts upto 4 feet at the back of the house. A power cut as well,
which lasted from 4am to lunchtime. Fortunately we have a propane gas
fire for my auntie (who's 94 on Tuesday) and we have a multi-fuel
stove in the living room and a propane gas cooker so we managed fine.
The hens were very unhappy, though, and refused to come out all day.
I had to dig through the snow to find their waterer - and, boy, were
my hands cold!

I opened the door for the dog to go out this morning and a blizzard
blew in through the door, followed by great lumps of ice crashing down
from the door frame so she turned tail and wouldn't go out. She likes
snow, but just a couple of inches in the sunshine on a calm day (don't
we all?).

Mobile phones not working either, so I presume there are problems with
the masts. Land lines ok, though.

Still lots of snow this evening though it's melted a little today and
we've had lots of sleet. Just wondering if it's going to turn to snow
again overnight.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply