Old 15-03-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Greenfingers???

Default MAGNOLIA

I have a magnolia 'susan'. I'm not sure if it has survived this very
frosty winter?

Old 15-03-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Greenfingers???" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a magnolia 'susan'. I'm not sure if it has survived this very
frosty winter?

I see no reason why this winter or any other winter would cause any problems
to Magnolias. AFAIK they are very tough.
If it does not survive then I would guess that the problem lies elsewhere
and not with frost/snow.

Old 15-03-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Greenfingers???

thanks. hillhouse nursery looks good

Old 16-03-2006, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 15/3/06 23:07, in article
, "Greenfingers???"
wrote:

I have a magnolia 'susan'. I'm not sure if it has survived this very
frosty winter?

It probably will because it's fully hardy but it's possible that any buds
will have been frosted and it won't flower this year. Neither will our M.
campbellii, I fear. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Does frost actually damage the unopened buds or is it the frost that damages
the open flowers?
I've seen flowers browned by fast thawing from the early morning sun -does
the same happen to the buds?
I guess the M. campbelli is a fairly early one particularly in your
location.

Old 16-03-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/3/06 0:11, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 15/3/06 23:07, in article
, "Greenfingers???"
wrote:

I have a magnolia 'susan'. I'm not sure if it has survived this very
frosty winter?

It probably will because it's fully hardy but it's possible that any buds
will have been frosted and it won't flower this year. Neither will our M.
campbellii, I fear. ;-(

Does frost actually damage the unopened buds or is it the frost that damages
the open flowers?
I've seen flowers browned by fast thawing from the early morning sun -does
the same happen to the buds?
I guess the M. campbelli is a fairly early one particularly in your
location.

The frost damages the buds in our case. I haven't seen flowers damaged by
frost but perhaps that's because of the locations in which I've gardened.
Here, the M. campbelli is in the churchyard adjacent to the garden. Ray
planted it about 12 or so years ago as his own memorial! But he's now
beginning to think he might have done better to plant something that buds
and flowers later. As you know, this particular Magnolia takes years to
come to blooming size but this one surprised us by suddenly budding about 3
years ago. Unhappily, it's been hit by frost two out of those three years
so we've only seen it actually flower once. It's still quite a youngster
but it's a wonderful sight. I must remember to go down to that end of the
garden today and have a proper look at it. I can't see it from the house.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-03-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 16/3/06 0:11, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 15/3/06 23:07, in article
, "Greenfingers???"
wrote:

[...]

I had not realised it was so early. It does look like a super plant.
For clarification. The frost damage I have seen on flowers has been as a
result of fast thawing frost on the ends of the part opened buds--usually
the common Soulangia.
The white shows the damage as a brown stain on the ends of the petals-it's
less noticeable on the darker varieties.
Same sort of damage that one gets on Camelias.

small magnolia tree growing Lewis Spurlin Jr North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 02:20 PM
Magnolia tree on the move BB North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 06:56 PM
Where to buy magnolia trees in hampshire John Moran United Kingdom 8 16-04-2003 10:44 AM
magnolia info please...... will Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:56 AM