Old 17-03-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default Potting indoor plants

I am curious as to what sort of pots you should have indoor plant in.
I think all indoor plant pots I've seen don't have any drainage holes
in them . Does that mean you should use plastic pots with drainage
holes and insert these inside the actual pots just so it looks nice or
do you put the plant directly into the nice pot without any drainage ?

I would have thought you do need drainage but just wanted to get some
expert advice

Cheers

Colin

Old 17-03-2006, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am curious as to what sort of pots you should have indoor plant in.
I think all indoor plant pots I've seen don't have any drainage holes
in them . Does that mean you should use plastic pots with drainage
holes and insert these inside the actual pots just so it looks nice or
do you put the plant directly into the nice pot without any drainage ?

I would have thought you do need drainage but just wanted to get some
expert advice

Yes you need drainage. "Pots" without drainage holes are in fact pot
holders, their function is to hide the terracotta or plastic pot with
something more decorative.

Steve

Old 17-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Manchester

none of my indoor plants are in pots with drainage holes and they do fine. i just make sure i only water them when i can feel the soil is virtually bone dry and don't give them too much at any one time to ensure they're roots don't sit in free water which the soil can't hold.

whether this is the best system i have no idea, but the plants do fine as long as i feed them spring/summer/autumn, and repot every 2/3 years
Old 18-03-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am curious as to what sort of pots you should have indoor plant in.
I think all indoor plant pots I've seen don't have any drainage holes
in them . Does that mean you should use plastic pots with drainage
holes and insert these inside the actual pots just so it looks nice or
do you put the plant directly into the nice pot without any drainage ?

Both :~))
Depends what plant type it is.
I tend to leave cacti and succulents in thier original pots so they can drain
into the container.
Other types of plants whiich do not mind perhaps being overwatered can go
straight into the decorative pot. You just have to be careful about marks on
carpets, floors etc.......

I would have thought you do need drainage but just wanted to get some
expert advice
Cheers Colin

Jenny

Old 18-03-2006, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Tiger303" wrote in message

none of my indoor plants are in pots with drainage holes and they do
fine. i just make sure i only water them when i can feel the soil is
virtually bone dry and don't give them too much at any one time to
ensure they're roots don't sit in free water which the soil can't hold.

whether this is the best system i have no idea, but the plants do fine
as long as i feed them spring/summer/autumn, and repot every 2/3 years
Tiger303

I use a water meter type gadget from the garden centre to test the wetness of
the soil.
Jenny