Old 20-03-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default Tomato 'Tumbler' F1

I like the look of these - and have a perfect sunny spot for 2 baskets
Can the seeds be plented directly into the final basket ?
Old 21-03-2006, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Tonks

"NC" wrote in message
I like the look of these - and have a perfect sunny spot for 2 baskets
Can the seeds be plented directly into the final basket ?

Provided the basket is kept indoors (greenhouse, conservatory or next to a
large window to get plenty of light) until the plants are large enough to be
put outdoors, I can't see why not.

Treat it as a very large seed tray and make sure you harden off the plants
(i.e. gradually acclimatise them to cooler conditions) before placing
outside.

When the plants are small, be careful not to overwater them - at that stage
there will be a lot of compost (and therefore water) relative to the size of
the plants.

--
Neil

Visit my Peak District walking website - www.peakwalking.co.uk

Old 21-03-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

A definite 'no' from my husband whose family used to grow tomatoes
commercially, both for the plants and the fruit. He says that to get
strong plants you do need to put them in trays and then prick them out
into 9cm pots. If you plant them straight into the baskets firstly,
not all seeds germinate, so you could be left with an empty basket or a
sparse one and they will inevitably have the wrong amounts of water
and/or feed that they need from the compost. The whole process of
potting all plants on at various stages in their life is to ensure that
they're not either over or underwhelmed by their pots, their watering
regime and their feeding.
This year, we are growing Jersey Sunrise, Alicante, Gardener's Delight,
Marmande, Earlypak, San Marzano Nano, and Rio Fuego. It's going to be
interesting to see how they all do (some are already 3" or 4" tall and
ready for sale) and what the comparative flavours are like. We bought
the last three in Florence and the last two are supposed to be
excellent for making tomato paste or sauce.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.couk

Old 21-03-2006, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Sacha - thanks for the tips.
Am I to late to start planting tumbler seeds indoors, should I wait and
buy some plants when they appear the garden centers / on the net ?
Old 21-03-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"NC" wrote in message
Sacha wrote:
[...]

You are not to late to sow.Just means your crop will be later.Do as it says
on the packet & you won`t go far wrong.
Cheers Keith

Old 21-03-2006, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

No, you can sow some more seeds now. By the end of the month it's
getting a little late. Later than that and you risk getting a poor
crop. But now is fine.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-03-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Sacha wrote:
No, you can sow some more seeds now. By the end of the month it's
getting a little late. Later than that and you risk getting a poor
crop. But now is fine.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

ok - I'll get going at the weekend.

1st Tumbler Tomato Springtime United Kingdom 6 02-05-2006 01:50 PM
Tumbler Tomato Joanne United Kingdom 2 13-06-2004 01:15 PM
Tumbler Tomato question... The Grate Denini United Kingdom 5 04-05-2004 03:08 PM
Tumbler Tomatoes Mike Crossland United Kingdom 1 17-04-2004 10:10 PM
Tumbler Tomatoes Mike Crossland United Kingdom 1 17-04-2004 09:06 PM