Old 01-05-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Springtime

Default 1st Tumbler Tomato

My first Tumbler tomato is going red (hanging basket in heated greenhouse -
sown last week in January) and I've picked my 4th cucumber.
The Shirley tomatoes are up to their 5th truss - flowers set up to the 4th
truss.
My big challenge is the sweet/& hot peppers - they look a little sorry for
themselves after an attack of greenfly - I've planted them in the greenhouse
border, any tips to help them on their way.
because of the hosepipe ban I have had to switch off the automatic
irrigation system - I think this has actually made me more diligent when
watering and probably accounts for the healthier plants this year.
SH

Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Springtime wrote:
My first Tumbler tomato is going red (hanging basket in heated greenhouse -
sown last week in January) and I've picked my 4th cucumber.
The Shirley tomatoes are up to their 5th truss - flowers set up to the 4th
truss.
My big challenge is the sweet/& hot peppers - they look a little sorry for
themselves after an attack of greenfly - I've planted them in the greenhouse
border, any tips to help them on their way.
because of the hosepipe ban I have had to switch off the automatic
irrigation system - I think this has actually made me more diligent when
watering and probably accounts for the healthier plants this year.
SH

excellent... Mine are just babies in comparrison !
I started the first batch from seed about a month ago, only 3 have come
on and made decent plants. I then planted another load about 2 weeks
ago, about 10 of those have now planted on to 3" pots.
I assume you also started from seed ?? Would you mind describing the
potting on process you went through ? How big were they when you planted
them on to their final resting place ?? Do you hve only one plant per
basket ?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Springtime

------ Snip ------

excellent... Mine are just babies in comparrison !
I started the first batch from seed about a month ago, only 3 have come on
and made decent plants.

Yes, they only gave me 7 seeds so failures are expensive - maybe I was
lucky, all 7 came up.

I then planted another load about 2 weeks ago, about 10 of those have now
planted on to 3" pots.
I assume you also started from seed ?? Would you mind describing the
potting on process you went through ?

Whilst the greenhouse was heated to an ambient temp of 60f, the seeds were
in an electric propagator at a temp of 75f. They came through in 3 days. I
tend to pot onto the smallest pots after a couple of weeks potting well down
to just below the seed leaves.
They were then grown on in the greenhouse with the temp raised to 63f. Bear
in mind the Shirley seeds were also treated exactly the same.

How big were they when you planted

They were potted onto the next size and planted up into the hanging baskets
when the first truss appeared - 2 per 18 inch basket with good potting
compost & gell water retainer.
By keeping the plants as close to the glass as possible it helped to reduce
stretching.

them on to their final resting place ?? Do you hve only one plant per
basket ?

I have three baskets but only room for one now in the greenhouse with all
the other tomatoes & cues.

I have chanced my arm this weekend and put the other 2 outside in a
sheltered sunny spot by the house - fingers crossed (it worked last year)

I'm sure your will be successful.
SH

Old 01-05-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

I'm sure your will be successful.
SH

I hope so !
One moe (maybe daft!) question - what does the first truss look like ?
There are a few good sized leaves now, with more leaves growing off the
branches - is this a truss ?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Springtime

"NC" wrote in message ...
I'm sure your will be successful.
SH

I hope so !
One moe (maybe daft!) question - what does the first truss look like ?
There are a few good sized leaves now, with more leaves growing off the
branches - is this a truss ?

A truss is the small group of flowers that eventually (once pollinated)
becomes the tomatoes.
You should be able to see a tiny one after the first few real leaves have
unfolded. See Picture
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...yGB%26 sa%3DN

SH

Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Springtime wrote:
"NC" wrote in message ...

I'm sure your will be successful.
SH

I hope so !
One moe (maybe daft!) question - what does the first truss look like ?
There are a few good sized leaves now, with more leaves growing off the
branches - is this a truss ?

A truss is the small group of flowers that eventually (once pollinated)
becomes the tomatoes.
You should be able to see a tiny one after the first few real leaves have
unfolded. See Picture
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...yGB%26 sa%3DN

SH

OK - thanks for the link - a picture speaks a thousand words !
Been thinking about this some more whilst watching the snooker
(gardening, snooker !! Wife laughs at me - I'm only 27!). should I pot
on to bigger than 3" before putting them outside - maybe to 5" peat pots
so that I dont disturb the roots ? When planting to baskets, do you
position at the back, front or middle of basket (sounds a daft question,
but I'm thinking that this will make quite a difference to the way the
toms are able to 'hang') ?

Sorry for death by questions - this is my first year with a garden, I
cant find decent instructions on the net, and I dont want to kill
everything with daft mistakes!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"NC" wrote
Sorry for death by questions - this is my first year with a garden, I
cant find decent instructions on the net, and I dont want to kill
everything with daft mistakes!

No need to apologise. It's all grist to the mill, and lots of us L plate
gardeners are learning hints and tips when the more expert people help
you out.

--
Sue

Tomato 'Tumbler' F1 NC United Kingdom 6 21-03-2006 11:26 PM
Tumbler Tomato Joanne United Kingdom 2 13-06-2004 01:15 PM
Tumbler Tomato question... The Grate Denini United Kingdom 5 04-05-2004 03:08 PM
Tumbler Tomatoes Mike Crossland United Kingdom 1 17-04-2004 10:10 PM
Tumbler Tomatoes Mike Crossland United Kingdom 1 17-04-2004 09:06 PM