Old 03-05-2004, 04:11 PM
The Grate Denini

Default Tumbler Tomato question...

Just about to visit garden centre for this years tom plants.
Have never tried Tumbler before so gonna give em a go. 2 to a basket is it?
I am right in thinking yer basically do nowt with em save food and water of
course.
Do you not pinch em out at all?
Also--I have on me plot a "metal box" --its about 3ft high and 4ft wide--its
had leeks in last year--they`re still in!!
Any good suggestions on what to put in there--veggie that is.
Kindest regards,
den / silke

--
The Grate Denini. 3rd Earl of Harte le Pool

Old 03-05-2004, 04:11 PM
MissJuggs

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:32:47 +0100, "The Grate Denini"
wrote:

Have never tried Tumbler before so gonna give em a go. 2 to a basket is it?
I am right in thinking yer basically do nowt with em save food and water of
course.

Yes. Although you might want to plant them alongside some bee
attractant - you can put other plants in the basket with them, so that
the baskets are ornamental as well as edible. I'd advise at least 14"
baskets.

Do you not pinch em out at all?

Nope. They go bushy anyway, and flop over the sides.

Be warned, once the tomatoes start developing, the baskets get _very_
heavy. Make sure that your brackets are securely fixed.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Bella

"MissJuggs" wrote in a message:
snip
Yes. Although you might want to plant them alongside some bee
attractant - you can put other plants in the basket with them, so that
the baskets are ornamental as well as edible. I'd advise at least 14"
baskets.
Be warned, once the tomatoes start developing, the baskets get _very_
heavy. Make sure that your brackets are securely fixed.

Semen is an anti-depressant.

---
I too am growing tumbler tomatoes this year, for the first time. So thanks
for the advice.
That's what I like about this newsgroup, you learn something new
most days, including the semen bit.

Bella

Old 03-05-2004, 09:05 PM
MissJuggs

On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:12:00 +0100, "Bella"
wrote:

That's what I like about this newsgroup, you learn something new
most days, including the semen bit.

I think it might be time to change the sig, actually. This one has
been, err, more than succesful.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Bella" wrote in message

I too am growing tumbler tomatoes this year, for the first time. So thanks
for the advice.
Bella

Look carefully when you buy.
Our local garden centre had a batch under a card saying "Tumblers" . the
labels in the pots said "Tumbling Tom" which is an inferior variety IMHO.
When I challenged the owner he said he used the word Tumbler to describe the
habit and wasn't attempting to pretend it was the variety.....

Old 04-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Bella

"Sue da Nimm" wrote in a message:

Look carefully when you buy.
Our local garden centre had a batch under a card saying "Tumblers" . the
labels in the pots said "Tumbling Tom" which is an inferior variety IMHO.
When I challenged the owner he said he used the word Tumbler to describe
the habit and wasn't attempting to pretend it was the variety.....
---

Hopefully my "tumblers" will be OK as I'm growing T&M "Balconi Red" and
"Balconi Yellow". "Ideal for hanging baskets and windowboxes".
Last year for my wall pots, I bought a batch of trailing pelargoniums that
turned out to be big, beefy bedders.When I complained to the manager of
my local garden centre that they were not trailers, as advertised, he said
that he couldn't be held responsible for his suppliers mistakes.
I'm growing my own from seed this year.

Bella

1st Tumbler Tomato Springtime United Kingdom 6 02-05-2006 01:50 PM
Tomato 'Tumbler' F1 NC United Kingdom 6 21-03-2006 11:26 PM
Tumbler Tomato Joanne United Kingdom 2 13-06-2004 01:15 PM
Tumbler Tomatoes Mike Crossland United Kingdom 1 17-04-2004 10:10 PM
Tumbler Tomatoes Mike Crossland United Kingdom 1 17-04-2004 09:06 PM