Old 10-02-2008, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potting composts

Hello can you help

What is the best multipurpose compost that I can buy from the garden shops.

I am unable to find anything that does not dry out, or gets waterlogged , is
it the composts, or me.

all help appreciated

...............Leslie

Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Therefore" wrote in message
Hello can you help

What is the best multipurpose compost that I can buy from the garden
shops.

I am unable to find anything that does not dry out, or gets waterlogged ,
is it the composts, or me.

all help appreciated

...............Leslie

I like the b and q one that is a peat based mixed with John Innes. Used to
mix it myself but now I use theirs

--
Robert Brimacombe
Secretary

Old 10-02-2008, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Therefore says...
Hello can you help

What is the best multipurpose compost that I can buy from the garden shops.

I am unable to find anything that does not dry out, or gets waterlogged , is
it the composts, or me.

all help appreciated

...............Leslie

I buy cheapo multi-purpose compost but mix about 30% of
sharp sand into it. If you are unfortunate enough to have
any moles, one benefit is the hills which consist of fine
soil. This can also be mixed with some sharp sand to give a
good potting compost. However, for seeds best to use a
reasonable quality compost - some of the cheaper ones tend
to go mouldy for some reason which encourages the seedlings
to damp off.
--
David in Normandy.
subject line, or it will be automatically deleted.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Therefore writes
Hello can you help

What is the best multipurpose compost that I can buy from the garden shops.

I am unable to find anything that does not dry out, or gets waterlogged , is
it the composts, or me.

all help appreciated

It's partly you ;-)

All composts will get waterlogged if the drainage is not adequate. Make
sure all your containers have drainage holes.

All composts will eventually get dry if not watered. But some (the peat
based or coir based) are more difficult to get wet again. It helps if
you stand your container on a saucer or tray to catch the water that
runs straight through - you can then water it and let it stand in the
water in the tray for a few hours until the water has been soaked back
up.

A lot of people prefer to avoid peat based composts on environmental
grounds, peat being a rapidly declining habitat. So that leaves loam
based composts or peat free ones based on coir or other substances
(though I gather there are concerns about coir because of the
transportation costs).

If you go peat free, soilless, the Arthur Bowers New Horizon has a good
reputation.
--
Kay
Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
[...]

I think gen purpose compost is usually too compressed to be used as it
comes in the bag. Mixing in sharp sand is probably the easiest way to
break it down and make it more uniform.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Feb, 18:42, Stuart Noble
wrote:
K wrote:
[...]

break it down and make it more uniform.- Hide quoted text -

B & Q Multipurpous, Seived then add about 10% pearlite (More if you
want it for seeds) then you can add some loam if you want, and coars
sand or grit.
If you are gouin to use mole hill soil then cooking it in the
microwave first helps kill off the nasties it contains.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 10 Feb, 21:24, Dave Hill wrote:
On 10 Feb, 18:42, Stuart Noble
wrote:

K wrote:
[...]

Abacus Nurseries- Hide quoted text -

I should have added that the 150 litr bale is good value esp if bought
on a Wed with over 60 discount
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:
On 10 Feb, 18:42, Stuart Noble
wrote:
K wrote:
[...]

I can't get on with perlite. I seemed to be forever sweeping it up.
Apart from the weight aspect, it doesn't seem to offer any advantage
over sand. Probably missing something (again)
Old 23-02-2008, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We use a multipurpose, somtimes a plain base diluted home made. The home
made stuff is pretty concentrated. Depending on the plant we'll mix it
down with sand/etc to whatevers needed.

Therefore wrote:

Hello can you help

What is the best multipurpose compost that I can buy from the garden shops.

I am unable to find anything that does not dry out, or gets waterlogged , is
it the composts, or me.

all help appreciated

...............Leslie

--
Gemini Bioscapes
Plants & more on Ebay
Old 24-02-2008, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Feb, 16:29, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
wrote:
I like the b and q one that is a peat based mixed with John Innes. Used to
mix it myself but now I use theirs

I thought we were supposed to be avoiding peat to save the wetlands?
http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/index....landcampai gn
http://www.wildaboutgardens.org/Gard...oPeatFree.aspx
http://www.kew.org/ksheets/peat.html

B&Q told the world they were going peat-free in a press release in
2001. I am dissapointed to hear they didn't stick to that.

Old 24-02-2008, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin says...
In the Netherlands there are warnings about the rising number of legionella
cases caught by people visiting garden centres

I'm intrigued. How do they catch it from garden centres?
Old 21-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Registered User

I wouldnt buy anything from J Arthur Bower's after seeing what short cuts they are taking to save money.
Old 21-05-2010, 02:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenMaster View Post
I wouldnt buy anything from J Arthur Bower's after seeing what short cuts they are taking to save money.
That's not a particularly informative post. J Arthur Bowers have a good reputation, and I've used their composts for a good many years with satisfactory results. So a single unspecific post isn't likely to change my mind, unless you have some evidence to back up that statement.
Old 22-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
That's not a particularly informative post. J Arthur Bowers have a good reputation, and I've used their composts for a good many years with satisfactory results. So a single unspecific post isn't likely to change my mind, unless you have some evidence to back up that statement.
I use the cheapest compost I can find. I add sharp sand at about 15% and ground charcoal at the same rate. I presoak the charcoal in liquid manure or diluted urine for about a week beforehand to give the micro organisms a chance to develop. These will help the plants take up the fertilizer. The charcoal can hold about 20% of its volume in water so it slows down the dryng out process.

dirty peat free composts cineman United Kingdom 13 17-08-2008 10:22 AM
Composts jellyfish United Kingdom 0 09-11-2006 11:46 PM
JI Composts Chris Hogg United Kingdom 7 21-03-2006 06:08 PM
soil vs potting composts Duncan United Kingdom 2 02-02-2006 10:45 PM
Peat free composts Victoria Clare United Kingdom 9 11-04-2005 01:04 PM