Old 24-03-2006, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

Default Frogs OT

After reading about everyone else's frogs arriving, I am pleased to say
that Bas saw two in the pond this morning. However, he says - and I
can only take his word for this - that one of them is white and pink. I
have never heard of this. Are there such things as albino frogs? I
wouldn't have thought so. OTOH, it could have some sort of disease.
Has anyone seen this before, please, and do we need to do anything to
deal with it?

TIA
--
June Hughes
Old 24-03-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:32:55 +0000
June Hughes wrote:

After reading about everyone else's frogs arriving, I am pleased to say
that Bas saw two in the pond this morning. However, he says - and I
can only take his word for this - that one of them is white and pink. I
have never heard of this. Are there such things as albino frogs? I
wouldn't have thought so. OTOH, it could have some sort of disease.
Has anyone seen this before, please, and do we need to do anything to
deal with it?

I've seen albino frogs now and again. Apparently not uncommon:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/strange/albino.html

No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 24-03-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , June Hughes
writes
After reading about everyone else's frogs arriving, I am pleased to say
that Bas saw two in the pond this morning. However, he says - and I
can only take his word for this - that one of them is white and pink.
I have never heard of this. Are there such things as albino frogs? I
wouldn't have thought so. OTOH, it could have some sort of disease.
Has anyone seen this before, please, and do we need to do anything to
deal with it?

Sorry to follow my own post. I found a children's frog page on the net
and it would appear to be an albino frog after all and Bas wasn't
imagining things.
--
June Hughes
Old 24-03-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Emery Davis wrote:
No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

They were planting their spuds in Nantes last week end in their
t.shirts!

Old 24-03-2006, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Emery Davis wrote:
No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

They were planting their spuds in Nantes last week end in their
t.shirts!

My frogs are still wearing winter woollies

Old 24-03-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Emery Davis
writes
June Hughes wrote:

After reading about everyone else's frogs arriving, I am pleased to say
that Bas saw two in the pond this morning. However, he says - and I
can only take his word for this - that one of them is white and pink. I
have never heard of this. Are there such things as albino frogs? I
wouldn't have thought so. OTOH, it could have some sort of disease.
Has anyone seen this before, please, and do we need to do anything to
deal with it?

I've seen albino frogs now and again. Apparently not uncommon:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/strange/albino.html

No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

-E

As a lab owner I am required to walk a lot and therefore see the trees
every day in their various states of bud. They are coming on but things
are far behind last year.
--
June Hughes
Old 24-03-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

June Hughes wrote:
As a lab owner I am required to walk a lot and therefore see the trees
every day in their various states of bud. They are coming on but things
are far behind last year.

Absolutely. As much as we had a late season, dragging well into
November, everything seem to be so slow to wake up. As a Tervurenes
owner ;o) I can see every day twice a day (the third time he does it)
that the trees shape are softening by the appearance of the buds, but
it's not really that yet.

It's warming up next week. Hooray!

Old 24-03-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Emery Davis
writes
June Hughes wrote:

After reading about everyone else's frogs arriving, I am pleased to say
that Bas saw two in the pond this morning. However, he says - and I
can only take his word for this - that one of them is white and pink. I
have never heard of this. Are there such things as albino frogs? I
wouldn't have thought so. OTOH, it could have some sort of disease.
Has anyone seen this before, please, and do we need to do anything to
deal with it?

I've seen albino frogs now and again. Apparently not uncommon:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/strange/albino.html

No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

I have now seen our frog for myself. It isn't white but a dusty pink
colour, with a white under-belly and four black spots about 1cm in
diameter. The others are just a normal dirty green.
--
June Hughes
Old 24-03-2006, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheldon Harper

Default Planning for Summer (was Frogs OT)

Emery Davis wrote in
:

No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

Spring? Wuzzat? LOL

It is snowing here as I write this. Snow is still knee deep in
the undrifted meadows. We're supposed to have several days in
a row above freezing next week. I'll have a young man with a
good back over to shovel the snow away from the uphill side of
the barn (second time this year) to keep the thaw from flooding
the barn (20 X 25 foot) floor.

I intend to significantly enlarge my personal vegitable garden
this year, though with not much of a lower back remaining I
won't be able to run my TroyBilt tiller any longer. That will
make it to eBay soon. Last weekend I purchased a TG-72 to
handle the problem.

http://www.kingkutter.com/WholeGood.asp?item=Tiller

I *almost* regret that ground preparation with this machine
will take less than an hour this year including the enlarged
(formerly unbroken) area.

Photos later in the season.
Old 24-03-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Emery Davis
writes
June Hughes wrote:

After reading about everyone else's frogs arriving, I am pleased to say
that Bas saw two in the pond this morning. However, he says - and I
can only take his word for this - that one of them is white and pink. I
have never heard of this. Are there such things as albino frogs? I
wouldn't have thought so. OTOH, it could have some sort of disease.
Has anyone seen this before, please, and do we need to do anything to
deal with it?

I've seen albino frogs now and again. Apparently not uncommon:

http://allaboutfrogs.org/weird/strange/albino.html

No frogs yet here in Normandy, too b***dy cold. Saw a toad
the other day, though. Will spring never put in an appearance?

I have now seen our frog for myself. It isn't white but a dusty pink
colour, with a white under-belly and four black spots about 1cm in
diameter. The others are just a normal dirty green.

Red Leg disease can result in some very odd colouring. I've come across
frogs in rainbow colors which, I assume, are suffering. Quite brite
yellows and strong pinks.

Equally, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some frog colouration
relates to contact with garden fertilizers and pesticides ....
--
Larry Stoter

Old 24-03-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Larry
Stoter writes
June Hughes wrote:

I have now seen our frog for myself. It isn't white but a dusty pink
colour, with a white under-belly and four black spots about 1cm in
diameter. The others are just a normal dirty green.

Red Leg disease can result in some very odd colouring. I've come across
frogs in rainbow colors which, I assume, are suffering. Quite brite
yellows and strong pinks.

Equally, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some frog colouration
relates to contact with garden fertilizers and pesticides ....

Well, for the record, I don't use either fertilisers or pesticides. The
frog was a pale, dusty pink, so I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that it
is albino.
--
June Hughes
Old 25-03-2006, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

June Hughes wrote:

I have now seen our frog for myself. It isn't white but a dusty

pink
colour, with a white under-belly and four black spots about 1cm

in
diameter. The others are just a normal dirty green.

Red Leg disease can result in some very odd colouring. I've come

across
frogs in rainbow colors which, I assume, are suffering. Quite brite
yellows and strong pinks.

Equally, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some frog

colouration
relates to contact with garden fertilizers and pesticides ....

Well, for the record, I don't use either fertilisers or pesticides.

The
frog was a pale, dusty pink, so I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that

it
is albino.

I have a copy of a lithoprint dated 1908 showing grey, brown and pink
frogs.
The original is held by the Ray Society, publishers of UK natural
history works.
So, maybe it is not a recent phenomenon.
And, incidentally our (mid Lincs) frogs started spawning last night.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
latest update 16.03.2006

Old 26-03-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Daphne Dean

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , June Hughes
writes

Sorry to follow my own post. I found a children's frog page on the net
and it would appear to be an albino frog after all and Bas wasn't
imagining things.
--
June Hughes

Could you give the address of the site, please June

Many thanks
Daphne

Old 26-03-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Daphne Dean
writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , June Hughes
writes

Sorry to follow my own post. I found a children's frog page on the net
and it would appear to be an albino frog after all and Bas wasn't
imagining things.
--
June Hughes

Could you give the address of the site, please June

Many thanks
Daphne

Http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/pond-dip/frogs.htm

HTH
--
June Hughes
Old 26-03-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

In message , ned writes

I have a copy of a lithoprint dated 1908 showing grey, brown and pink
frogs.
The original is held by the Ray Society, publishers of UK natural
history works.
So, maybe it is not a recent phenomenon.
And, incidentally our (mid Lincs) frogs started spawning last night.

Albino frogs are quite common in one part of Reading, but I live a
couple of miles away and have never seen one.
Does anyone know whether the tadpoles are pink too?

--
Sue ]

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM