Old 25-03-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default OT (slightly) - rusting in sheds ?!

Any ideas if I am asking fro trouble by storing things like screw
drivers and general tools in a shed (ie smaller hand tools - hammers etc
- not larger garden tools) ?? Will they rust ??
I currently have a large tool box taking up room in a cupboard, it would
be nice to able to evict it to the shed (once I buy one!)
Old 25-03-2006, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"NC" wrote in message ...

Any ideas if I am asking fro trouble by storing things like screw
drivers and general tools in a shed (ie smaller hand tools - hammers etc
- not larger garden tools) ?? Will they rust ??
I currently have a large tool box taking up room in a cupboard, it would
be nice to able to evict it to the shed (once I buy one!)

The degree to which tools wil rust depends on the
amount of carbon in the steel as opposed to chromium
as in stainless steel. Plane bodies and straight edges are
notorious for rust but only in the right conditions. Whether
the humidity where you live is high enough etc.
The shafts of most screwdrivers, Stanley etc are chromium
plated and so won't rust. Most modern day saws are coated
and so won't rust. Otherwise rub with a candle.
Most edge tools, chisels etc which aren't in regular use -
the main point - benefit from a light coating of 3 in 1 or
similar, same as is used for sharpening them
For precision stuff micrometeres etc buy some silica gel
crystals from a store chemist ( they stock chemicals alongside
pharmaceuticals) and leave in the storage alongside
the tools. When the crystals change colour (can't remember
which blue to red or the other way around) this means they're
saturated and need drying out in the oven.

Oh, and make sure the roof of the shed it watertight first.

michael adams

Old 25-03-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"NC" wrote in message ...
Any ideas if I am asking fro trouble by storing things like screw
drivers and general tools in a shed (ie smaller hand tools - hammers etc
- not larger garden tools) ?? Will they rust ??
I currently have a large tool box taking up room in a cupboard, it would
be nice to able to evict it to the shed (once I buy one!)

Depends on how damp it will be out there........

Think about theft precautions - how venerable will de shed be?

Jenny

Old 25-03-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

JennyC wrote:
snip

Think about theft precautions - how venerable will de shed be?

About as venerable as da Bead, presumably.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Looking for help in the study of garden sheds ccoath United Kingdom 3 09-02-2005 07:56 AM
Sheds gap [was:Re DECKING] Brian Watson United Kingdom 2 23-02-2004 07:42 AM
try here for concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 11-02-2004 08:19 AM
concrete sheds bones United Kingdom 0 05-02-2004 06:48 PM
sheds karen United Kingdom 4 27-05-2003 10:20 AM