Old 26-03-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Default bonemeal and veg

should I be adding a dressing of bonemeal to the soil before planting
root veg (carrots, potatoes, beetroot & parsnips) ? If so, whats the
best way to go about it - ie work into the soil, sprinkle into the rows
before planting, wait for young shoots and sprinkle over the area ?
I have already added some in with my rhubarb (sprinkled into the hole
when planting -as directed on the rhubarb label).
Old 26-03-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NC

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from NC contains these words:

should I be adding a dressing of bonemeal to the soil before planting
root veg (carrots, potatoes, beetroot & parsnips) ? If so, whats the
best way to go about it - ie work into the soil, sprinkle into the rows
before planting, wait for young shoots and sprinkle over the area ?

It's a slow release fertiliser so needs to be added to the soil
before planting. For larger plants that have a plating hole-put it in
the hole. For seed drills, rake it in so that the fine dust doesn't blow
away in the wind.

Janet

should it be used in any particular situations - or just as a general
fertiliser when planting most things ? what should it not be used with ??
Old 28-03-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"NC" wrote in message
should it be used in any particular situations - or just as a
general fertiliser when planting most things ? what should it not be
used with ??

It's slow releasing, mostly Phospate with a little Nitrogen - not much
else so it's excellent as a planting fertiliser for almost anything. A
more balanced feed later on with all the major nutrients Nitrogen,
Phospate, Potassium will probably be needed. Check the requirements
for individual crops/plants because the proportions will vary
according to the crop and with the season - For example little or no
Nitrogen and extra Potassium for anything that wants hardening off and
ripening late in the season. There are proprietary products covering
all this or you can brew your own from raw chemicals or organic
sources.
Too much feeding or feeding stressed plants is worse than no feeding,
so don't go thinking twice as much will be twice as good.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 29-03-2006, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rod Craddock wrote:
"NC" wrote in message
should it be used in any particular situations - or just as a
general fertiliser when planting most things ? what should it not be
used with ??

It's slow releasing, mostly Phospate with a little Nitrogen - not much
else so it's excellent as a planting fertiliser for almost anything. A
more balanced feed later on with all the major nutrients Nitrogen,
Phospate, Potassium will probably be needed. Check the requirements
for individual crops/plants

(snip)

And you find these at the back of the fertilisers boxes as NPK,
nitrogen, phosphorous and potash with % of these. However, as Rod said,
too much is not a good idea. I find manure sufficient for my vegs and
use chicken pooh on my flower beds (because it comes under the shape of
pellets (clever chickens) and it doesn't completely smother the plant
under a pile of s.... )