Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foxes and Bonemeal

Has anyone got any suggestions for preventing foxes (or any other animal for
that matter) digging up plants which have had bonemeal added to their
planting holes.
I planted 10 photinia on Friday in order to grow a small hedge and added
bonemeal to the planting holes as recommended. I came home from work today
to find every plant had been clawed at and some had been ripped out of the
soil completely. It's a sorry sight. I have tried to replace the plants
but I fear some may have been damaged beyond repair.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jo" wrote in message
o.uk...
Has anyone got any suggestions for preventing foxes (or any other animal
for that matter) digging up plants which have had bonemeal added to their
planting holes.
I planted 10 photinia on Friday in order to grow a small hedge and added
bonemeal to the planting holes as recommended. I came home from work
today to find every plant had been clawed at and some had been ripped out
of the soil completely. It's a sorry sight. I have tried to replace the
plants but I fear some may have been damaged beyond repair.

Only lead in their ear, I'm afraid. Bonemeal attracts them, and being a
poultry keeper I've had far too many problems with foxes to be sympathetic
to them any more.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 20:05:43 +0100, "Jo" wrote:

Has anyone got any suggestions for preventing foxes (or any other animal for
that matter) digging up plants which have had bonemeal added to their
planting holes.
I planted 10 photinia on Friday in order to grow a small hedge and added
bonemeal to the planting holes as recommended. I came home from work today
to find every plant had been clawed at and some had been ripped out of the
soil completely. It's a sorry sight. I have tried to replace the plants
but I fear some may have been damaged beyond repair.

Put LOTS of BF&B in a demilitarised zone to act as a distraction?

Regards
Jenks
(Who has a derelict garden next door with at least a half dozen kits
running wild morning, noon and night. I can deal with the dog toys,
chewed balls, gloves, shoes etc. but the nappies are another matter.
The neighbours are clearly slobs. The holes in the lawn are an issue
and the c*nts have tunnelled into places that they should not be. Lead
poisoning in high vellocity .22 calibre is probably the only, but
temporary answer)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

Cats do not tunnel, you have a mole.
Tweed

Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:05:43 +0100, Jo wrote:

Has anyone got any suggestions for preventing foxes (or any other animal
for that matter) digging up plants which have had bonemeal added to
their planting holes.

They find it by smell. You need to mask the smell for at least 48 hours
or until it has rained twice.

Old scrap vinegar from empty pickle jars, Jeyes fluid, diluted as per
deterring cats, zoo-poo, all seem to work.

Commercial scent deterrents exist, but can be expensive.

if you have your own cat, it might not like it.

I have heard of barrier methods, like covering with thorny berberis
trimmings, but am not sure it would be effective.

--
Bob Harvey

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

How do they get under fences then?

Alan

Tweed

Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/07/2011 20:31, alan.holmes wrote:
"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message

(Who has a derelict garden next door with at least a half dozen kits

Cats do not tunnel, you have a mole.

How do they get under fences then?

Have a break It's a play on words... kit kat. :-0

Cats climb rather well so don't bother with digging under fences.
--
Phil Cook
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message

(Who has a derelict garden next door with at least a half dozen kits

Cats do not tunnel, you have a mole.

How do they get under fences then?

Have a break It's a play on words... kit kat. :-0

Cats climb rather well so don't bother with digging under fences.
--
Phil Cook

Once there's an opening under a fence the whole cat community will use
it...I can vouch for it. My 2 cats have a whole host of 'friends' who
visited at around 5pm every day throught the hole under the fence. However,
we have since blocked it up and they still visit, at the same time, but
climb over instead! They're lazy and will take the easiest route. It's a
lovely friendly get-together (5 cats) - no sparring, just playing and
showing off to each other.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message

(Who has a derelict garden next door with at least a half dozen kits

Cats do not tunnel, you have a mole.

How do they get under fences then?

Have a break It's a play on words... kit kat. :-0

Cats climb rather well so don't bother with digging under fences.

Did I miss something, I thought we were talking about foxes!

Alan

--
Phil Cook

Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina wrote in message

wrote in message

(Who has a derelict garden next door with at least a half dozen kits

Cats do not tunnel, you have a mole.

How do they get under fences then?

Have a break It's a play on words... kit kat. :-0

Cats climb rather well so don't bother with digging under fences.

Did I miss something, I thought we were talking about foxes!

Alan

--
Phil Cook

Indeed we were. The local speciens are continuing their excavations.
I have reports that another litter of chits has been spawned. I have
been quoted £170 per individual for 'removal'. This is getting past a
joke.

Jenks

Bonemeal costs how much!?! glasgowdan United Kingdom 8 19-06-2009 05:36 PM
anyone else had areaction to using fish,blood and bonemeal ?.. Jimbo United Kingdom 1 27-03-2009 05:52 PM
bonemeal and veg NC United Kingdom 3 29-03-2006 03:43 PM
The village idiots guide to foxes and living with them. Dr Jack Hammer United Kingdom 2 28-02-2004 05:19 PM
The village idiots guide to foxes and living with them. Dr Jack Hammer United Kingdom 0 28-02-2004 02:08 PM