Old 03-04-2006, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JFM

Default calla lilies

I planted some calla lilies in a pot in my conservatory a few weeks ago
along with a whole bunch of other summer flowering bulbs.

Everything else was sprouting apart from the calla lilies. I removed
the soil covering them and it appeared that I'd planted them upside
down. The roots seem to be appearing from the top, although there also
seems to be a shoot (or a thick root) appearing from the top too.

The bottom of the bulb shows no evidence of ever having sprouted
anything so I am wondering whether they are up the right way or not?

Old 03-04-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"JFM" wrote in message
oups.com...
I planted some calla lilies in a pot in my conservatory a few weeks ago
along with a whole bunch of other summer flowering bulbs.

Everything else was sprouting apart from the calla lilies. I removed
the soil covering them and it appeared that I'd planted them upside
down. The roots seem to be appearing from the top, although there also
seems to be a shoot (or a thick root) appearing from the top too.

The bottom of the bulb shows no evidence of ever having sprouted
anything so I am wondering whether they are up the right way or not?

There should be 'knobbly' bits - that the 'up' side :~)
Jenny

Old 05-04-2006, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jackie Brown

"JennyC" wrote in message

"JFM" wrote in message
oups.com...
I planted some calla lilies in a pot in my conservatory a few weeks ago
along with a whole bunch of other summer flowering bulbs.

Everything else was sprouting apart from the calla lilies. I removed
the soil covering them and it appeared that I'd planted them upside
down. The roots seem to be appearing from the top, although there also
seems to be a shoot (or a thick root) appearing from the top too.

The bottom of the bulb shows no evidence of ever having sprouted
anything so I am wondering whether they are up the right way or not?

There should be 'knobbly' bits - that the 'up' side :~)
Jenny

Hi James

I planted mine also about 3 weekends ago (after the last frost). Mine are in
a pot though, however I did but some polythene sheet over ( home made
cloche) and some string around it. I noticed yesterday I have 2 shoots above
the surface now .... yippeee .... my first lillies! I did plant 9 all
together but maybe they are a bit shy? Lol!

Good luck with your lillies - let us know how you get on

--

Eradicating Calla Lilies Steve[_27_] Gardening 0 24-09-2008 03:28 AM
New Calla Lilies Joan F \(MI\)[_63_] Garden Photos 1 16-07-2008 01:09 AM
my calla lilies are doing something STRANGE!! [email protected] Gardening 6 04-06-2005 07:09 PM
Calla Lilies MsLaura Gardening 5 25-03-2005 06:29 PM
Calla Lilies Scarlett Texas 7 29-09-2003 07:02 AM