Old 04-04-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

Default What mower?

Recently moved to my first house with a garden. The lawn's about 30x15 feet
and rectangular, fairly level, with a small acer in the middle of it. I
borrowed my brother's little Flymo electric, but detested the orange power
switch that seemed to trap the palm of my hand.

Any recommendations for god quality, nice to use but relatively inexpensive
mowers? I wonder if I'd be better off with a little petrol mower, or is that
overkill for such a small lawn?

Thanks.

--
Androo
(Remove your clothes to reply)

Old 04-04-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

androo wrote:
Recently moved to my first house with a garden. The lawn's about 30x15 feet
and rectangular, fairly level, with a small acer in the middle of it. I
borrowed my brother's little Flymo electric, but detested the orange power
switch that seemed to trap the palm of my hand.

Any recommendations for god quality, nice to use but relatively inexpensive
mowers? I wonder if I'd be better off with a little petrol mower, or is that
overkill for such a small lawn?

Thanks.

Petrol mowers are generally noisier, require you to have petrol on hand
(smelly stuff), are generally heavier and require a little more
maintenance. ...but you don't have to trail a cable, you don't have to
worry too much about rain, they tend to be more powerful and some are
self-propelled.
I get on fine with a flymo (300 I think) but many people detest them
and prefer wheels.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JB

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:39:37 +0100, "androo"
wrote:

Recently moved to my first house with a garden. The lawn's about 30x15 feet
and rectangular, fairly level, with a small acer in the middle of it. I
borrowed my brother's little Flymo electric, but detested the orange power
switch that seemed to trap the palm of my hand.

Any recommendations for god quality, nice to use but relatively inexpensive
mowers? I wonder if I'd be better off with a little petrol mower, or is that
overkill for such a small lawn?

Thanks.

On a lawn that size I would honest suggest using a hand push mower.
Petrol would be serious overkill and even an electric is going to be
more trouble than its worth. With something manual you'll have no
power issues, no cable issues and it's not going to go wrong.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
androo

On a lawn that size I would honest suggest using a hand push mower.
Petrol would be serious overkill and even an electric is going to be
more trouble than its worth. With something manual you'll have no
power issues, no cable issues and it's not going to go wrong.

That could be the answer. I like the idea! Good excercise too.

Androo

Old 06-04-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

wrote:

Recently moved to my first house with a garden. The lawn's about 30x15
feet
and rectangular, fairly level, with a small acer in the middle of it. I
borrowed my brother's little Flymo electric, but detested the orange power
switch that seemed to trap the palm of my hand.

Any recommendations for god quality, nice to use but relatively
inexpensive
mowers? I wonder if I'd be better off with a little petrol mower, or is
that
overkill for such a small lawn?

Thanks.

On a lawn that size I would honest suggest using a hand push mower.
Petrol would be serious overkill and even an electric is going to be
more trouble than its worth. With something manual you'll have no
power issues, no cable issues and it's not going to go wrong.

Got to agree, I thought the only downside is that a push mower might
actually be more expensive than an electric but I see Amazon do one for £38.
There is a good review from someone who uses it on a 1200 sq ft lawn, ie 3 x
size of the OPs.

Petrol for a lawn that size is just plain silly :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Replace mower or just mower battery? [email protected] Gardening 17 26-08-2005 04:31 AM
How to Make a Lawn Mower into Mulching Mower? Jay Chan Gardening 8 30-05-2003 04:09 PM
mower not run in 2 yrs John Lawns 4 24-04-2003 04:32 AM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM
[IBC] Lawn mower styling Beckenbach, Jay Bonsai 0 13-02-2003 02:25 PM