Old 05-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered User

Default Bales of Pine Needles

Hi

I am looking for bales of pine needles - does anyone know where I can purchase these in the UK?

I can see they are popular in the USA but can't seem to find them here in the UK.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"lizzyloo" wrote in message

Hi

I am looking for bales of pine needles - does anyone know where I can
purchase these in the UK?

I can see they are popular in the USA but can't seem to find them here
in the UK.
Thanks!
lizzyloo

Can't help you lizzyloo, but was interested as I've never heard of pine needle
bales !

Thought other uRGlers might be interested:
http://www.members.carolina.net/pine.../benefits.html

Jenny

Old 06-04-2006, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , JennyC
writes

"lizzyloo" wrote in message

Hi

I am looking for bales of pine needles - does anyone know where I can
purchase these in the UK?

I can see they are popular in the USA but can't seem to find them here
in the UK.
Thanks!
lizzyloo

Can't help you lizzyloo, but was interested as I've never heard of pine needle
bales !

Thought other uRGlers might be interested:
http://www.members.carolina.net/pine.../benefits.html

An interesting site. We have three very old fir trees of different
species and I really can't see the attraction of using the manky old
brown, prickly needles as a mulch or instead of bark. The only thing
going for them is that they smell nice if you crush them but that takes
quite a bit of doing.
--
June Hughes
Old 06-04-2006, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , JennyC
writes

"lizzyloo" wrote in message

Hi

I am looking for bales of pine needles - does anyone know where I can
purchase these in the UK?

I can see they are popular in the USA but can't seem to find them here
in the UK.
Thanks!
lizzyloo

Can't help you lizzyloo, but was interested as I've never heard of pine

needle
bales !

Thought other uRGlers might be interested:
http://www.members.carolina.net/pine.../benefits.html

An interesting site. We have three very old fir trees of different
species and I really can't see the attraction of using the manky old
brown, prickly needles as a mulch or instead of bark.

very good around strawberries apparently and also seem to improve flavour of
the berries. I throw the odd handful of pine forest litter in my compost.

rob

Old 06-04-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:26:57 +0100, June Hughes

We have three very old fir trees of different
species and I really can't see the attraction of using the manky old
brown, prickly needles as a mulch or instead of bark. The only thing
going for them is that they smell nice if you crush them but that takes
quite a bit of doing.

Pine needles are very good for mulching rhododendrons, azaleas,
camellias etc. The rot down to give an acid compost, but which is
coarse and open and lets the shallow roots breathe. When rotted,
they're also a very good additive to ericaceous composts, as they keep
the compost open and free draining, as well as acid.

If you've got them, I envy you. I have to cadge them from a
neighbouring farmer who has a stand of pine trees in a corner of a
field next to his house.

--
Chris