Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Electric Chainsaw

When the birds have finished nesting, (Blackbirds, Greenfinch and Pigeons)
we want to prune back the Leylandii, however it has got a bit too big for
the loppers and I thought a lightweight electric chainsaw would be OK. But,
can you hire them or are we toooooooooooooooooooo PC and not allowed to?
Anyone know before I make a fool of myself at a Hire Shop?

Mike

Old 06-04-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bigjon

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:05:06 +0100, Mike wrote:

When the birds have finished nesting, (Blackbirds, Greenfinch and Pigeons)
we want to prune back the Leylandii, however it has got a bit too big for
the loppers and I thought a lightweight electric chainsaw would be OK. But,
can you hire them or are we toooooooooooooooooooo PC and not allowed to?
Anyone know before I make a fool of myself at a Hire Shop?

Mike

You can hire leccy or petrol in the UK, you will get a safety kit (helmet,
gogs, gloves, body armour etc) and an instruction video, if you go to a
reputable high street small plant hire firm - but don't expect a
"man-sized" chain saw, you can only hire one up to 20" IIRC
Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 08:05:06 +0100, Mike wrote:

When the birds have finished nesting, (Blackbirds, Greenfinch and Pigeons)
we want to prune back the Leylandii, however it has got a bit too big for
the loppers and I thought a lightweight electric chainsaw would be OK. But,
can you hire them or are we toooooooooooooooooooo PC and not allowed to?
Anyone know before I make a fool of myself at a Hire Shop?

Mike

Consider how often you will need to do this, and consider buying one.

I have just replaced my 30 year old B&D chainsaw with a small petrol one,
so they are a long term investment.

There are also 'chain loppers' in the shops this year, which seem to be a
cross between a chain saw and loppers - the chain more is enclosed and
there are jaws to hold the branch.

They are less than £100, and assuming £20 a pop to hire a chain saw you
get your money back in 5 uses.

Alternatively, use a hand pruning saw (cheap and effective) or get a
multi-purpose electric saw such as the B&D Alligator which will cut
branches as well as a load of other stuff but isn't up to the kind of
branches and logs a chain saw will tackle.

HTH
Dave R