Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jw 1111

Default when to plant conifer seeds

Hi, i have now learnt that the new red tips of my confer means they will be
soon turning to seed.

when would be the best time to pull the seeds off so as to plant them
please?

Old 07-04-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jw 1111 writes
Hi, i have now learnt that the new red tips of my confer means they will be
soon turning to seed.

when would be the best time to pull the seeds off so as to plant them
please?

Have you had confirmation of that from someone who has seen the picture?
I saw an answer to this from someone who couldn't find the picture.

What sort of conifer is it?

If it's a cypress type conifer, then the red tips are the flowers, and
you would wait for cones to appear before getting any seeds (conifer
means 'cone bearing' and the seeds are between the plates of the cones)

If it's a pine, spruce, cedar, then I'm not sure I know of any with red
flowers at the ends of the branches.

Someone suggested using 'tinypic' to post a url to the picture in this
group - you might get more answers if you did that.
--
Kay