Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrew Hickley

Default Caterpillar spray?

I don't know what the active ingredient was, but I used to have some
spray on/water on powder that would kill off the massive caterpillar
attacks that denuded my brassicas. Does anyone know of a similar product?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

If you have alook at http://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare
you will find a range of products available.
Most are organic
There is bug clear which is based on bifenthrin
Most of the organic ones are fatty acid based sprays
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 07-04-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MikeCT

When I worked on a market garden, I and the rest of the team used to spend
many a * happy * hour checking all the brassica leaves for Cabbage White
butterfly eggs. This was done on a regular basis and as we didn't use any
chemicals or sprays, we rubbed over the egg rafts with our thumbs.squashing
the eggs before any caterpillars hatched.
That job was on top of the other every day gardening work and we didn't get
any extra pay for doing it. Oh happy days!!!
----

Old 07-04-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Andrew Hickley" wrote
I don't know what the active ingredient was, but I used to have some
spray on/water on powder that would kill off the massive caterpillar
attacks that denuded my brassicas. Does anyone know of a similar product?

Yes, it was probably the BT [bacillus thuringiensis] stuff that I also used,
totally organic and worked a treat. It is a disease of caterpillars you
spray onto the plants and once they eat it they die after a couple of days.
Probably unable to buy it now although I have some left.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-04-2006, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Andrew Hickley" wrote
I don't know what the active ingredient was, but I used to have some
spray on/water on powder that would kill off the massive caterpillar
attacks that denuded my brassicas. Does anyone know of a similar
product?

Yes, it was probably the BT [bacillus thuringiensis] stuff that I
also used, totally organic and worked a treat. It is a disease of
caterpillars you spray onto the plants and once they eat it they die
after a couple of days. Probably unable to buy it now although I have
some left.

Good stuff. I was given some by a market gardener, as, like many such
things, it wasn't available in amateur quantities. I think we come up
against economics here.

--
Mike.

caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (1/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
caterpillar - caterpillar.jpg (0/1) kayla Garden Photos 0 08-07-2007 05:30 PM
Caterpillar Id? Lilly Gardening 4 12-06-2003 05:32 AM
Bottle Garden caterpillar problem Alwyn Williams United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:20 AM