Old 07-04-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

Default Avian flu - Defra must resist hysteria-led bird massacre

The message
from Bill Hewitt contains these words:

Is there an indication of which species of birds can catch/spread bird flu ?
I assume that the attention to poultry/fowl is that they are more likely to
enter the food chain.
Should I be worried if I come into contact with faeces of any kind of bird
or just poultry/fowl ?
For example on trips to the Farne Islands I've been well and truly
contaminated with Tern poo. Sitting in a boat under Bass Rock, it's
difficult
not to be contaminated with Gannet poo. What about seaguls ?

I reallise that at the moment, infection levels in the UK are probably
pretty
low, but as someone who seeks out wild brds, what should my concerns be ?

Don`t inhale and you`ll be fine. A little bit like cannabis really.

And for the suggestion that poultry farming caused it to spread is
laughable. Its waterfowl really that give the largest problems as they
are in some cases fairly immune to the full impact of the disease wheras
poultry kark it in no time.

Sad but true. Hopefully they wont get panicy and slaughter everything in
sight. We are just going to have to live with it.