Old 19-03-2003, 10:32 AM
Ian B

Default Advice please Leylandii hedge

I moved home last year and inherited a house with one side (50ft) lined with
Hawthorne.
Obviously because of the growing seasons this hedge is "See through" because
its not evergreen. Unfortunately this allows me to see into next door for a
third of the year. Plus its not that attractive during this time!
I was thinking of removing it and planting Leylandii .
Leyandii possibly because its quick growing.
Its the only thing I can think of that will replace the hedge quickly.....
Or does anyone here have any better ideas????
Any help would be appreciated
ian

Old 19-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Paul Kelly

"Ian B" wrote in message
et...
I moved home last year and inherited a house with one side (50ft) lined

with
Hawthorne.
Obviously because of the growing seasons this hedge is "See through"

because
its not evergreen. Unfortunately this allows me to see into next door for

third of the year. Plus its not that attractive during this time!
I was thinking of removing it and planting Leylandii .
Leyandii possibly because its quick growing.
Its the only thing I can think of that will replace the hedge quickly.....
Or does anyone here have any better ideas????
Any help would be appreciated
ian

Best advice is to duck and wear asbestos gloves when reading most of the
replies to this question!

Seriously though, Leylandii is a plant that has its place and uses - but
screening a neighbour's garden is not one of them!

I always recommend Yew hedging. You don't mention any sort of budget - Yew
is available at all sorts of sizes from a few inches to 2-3m to give an
instant hedge. If you want prices: Do not go to a landscaper or a Garden
centre, but find a local trade nursery. For cash they will be more than
happy to supply enough hedging plants for a 50 ft hedge as that is a trade
quantity - price will be around 50% of garden centre price. If you need to
hire a local jobbing Gardner for the day to put them in.

pk

Old 19-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Ian B

Thanks
Gloves r on and ready....
Yew hedging,,, how fast does it grow?
Pardon my ignorance,,, YEW , is it evergreen?
thanks for advice,,, perhaps you've saved me from the Leylandi haters??

Old 19-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
Ian B wrote:
I moved home last year and inherited a house with one side (50ft) lined with
Hawthorne.
Obviously because of the growing seasons this hedge is "See through" because
its not evergreen. Unfortunately this allows me to see into next door for a
third of the year. Plus its not that attractive during this time!
I was thinking of removing it and planting Leylandii .
Leyandii possibly because its quick growing.

The trouble is, quick growing = *lots* of maintenance.

Its the only thing I can think of that will replace the hedge quickly.....
Or does anyone here have any better ideas????

A fence. Much quicker than leylandii. And you can put attachment points
on it so that you can grow climbers up it. These could be evergreen
climbers if you wanted.

Sharon
Old 19-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Paul Kelly

"Ian B" wrote in message
. net...
Thanks
Gloves r on and ready....
Yew hedging,,, how fast does it grow?
Pardon my ignorance,,, YEW , is it evergreen?
thanks for advice,,, perhaps you've saved me from the Leylandi haters??

Evergreen, the "classic" hedge in Victorian gardens.

Growth 6-9 inches per year. can be more with very good preparation and an
irrigation system.

pk

Old 19-03-2003, 06:20 PM
bnd777

Please dont plant Leylandi the neighbour problems it creates are hell

Try Escallonia, or Pyracantha , or Eleagnus
Much much nicer to look at and controllable growth

et...

Old 19-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Michael Berridge

bnd777 wrote in message ...
Please dont plant Leylandi the neighbour problems it creates are hell

Try Escallonia, or Pyracantha , or Eleagnus
Much much nicer to look at and controllable growth

I have to agree. I've just planted a pyracantha hedge, evergreen, has
flowers and berries, and even better as it is a hedge replacing a mesh
fence at the front of the house, it is thorny. I've actually used three
different pyracanthas to give variety and all are now in growth, even
though they have only been planted three weeks.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
David

In article , Ian B
writes
I moved home last year and inherited a house with one side (50ft) lined with
Hawthorne.
Obviously because of the growing seasons this hedge is "See through" because
its not evergreen. Unfortunately this allows me to see into next door for a
third of the year. Plus its not that attractive during this time!
I was thinking of removing it and planting Leylandii .
Leyandii possibly because its quick growing.
Its the only thing I can think of that will replace the hedge quickly.....
Or does anyone here have any better ideas????
Any help would be appreciated

Leylandii is still one of the most popular hedging plants, it is easy to
maintain and controllable as long as you trim it regularly, it *will*
grow 2-3 ft per yr but nothing else will touch it for growing a dense
screen quickly.

--
David
Old 22-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Paul Kelly

"David" wrote in message

Leylandii is still one of the most popular hedging plants, it is easy to
maintain and controllable as long as you trim it regularly, it *will*
grow 2-3 ft per yr but nothing else will touch it for growing a dense
screen quickly.

My name is Paul and I am a recovering Leylandii victim, I hope we never meet
to discuss this in person.

pk

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
bnd777

Paul join the club of being victims of the menace
Problem is its the people who grow them as much as the plant

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
David

In article , Paul Kelly
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .

Leylandii is still one of the most popular hedging plants, it is easy to
maintain and controllable as long as you trim it regularly, it *will*
grow 2-3 ft per yr but nothing else will touch it for growing a dense
screen quickly.

My name is Paul and I am a recovering Leylandii victim, I hope we never meet
to discuss this in person.

I don't have a problem meeting you Paul, why should I? I'm near Bury St
Edmunds if you want to visit, I have a 6' Leylandii hedge which I
maintain at that height relatively easily, many of my neighbours also
have Leylandii which are also kept at a reasonable height. AFAIK there
has only been one problem locally with a tree that got out of control
and that was cut down by its owner through his own choice, FWIW the bane
of my life is Sycamore's and I would ban them in urban settings :-)
Its worth putting the Leylandii issue in perspective, for every one
'victim' there must be hundreds of happy owners/neighbours, don't blame
the tool blame the user.
--
David
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
David

In article , bnd777
writes
Paul join the club of being victims of the menace
Problem is its the people who grow them as much as the plant

I grow them, what problem do you have with me?
--
David
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Sharon Curtis

In article ,
David wrote:
Its worth putting the Leylandii issue in perspective, for every one
'victim' there must be hundreds of happy owners/neighbours,

Why would the neighbour be *happy* with a leylandii hedge on their
boundary, when its very presence puts a burden of cutting it onto
them?

My neighbours were very glad when I removed my leylandii hedge. It
has let a lot more light into their garden, their garden is now
about 2 ft wider, they can use the rhs of their garden for planting,
the soil isn't too dry any more, and they no longer have to cut it
regularly.

Sharon
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sharon Curtis
writes
In article ,
David wrote:
Its worth putting the Leylandii issue in perspective, for every one
'victim' there must be hundreds of happy owners/neighbours,

Why would the neighbour be *happy* with a leylandii hedge on their
boundary, when its very presence puts a burden of cutting it onto
them?

Because it's a dense evergreen hedge affording privacy and making a matt
green backdrop to other plantings; because other hedges also need
cutting, and some of them have prickles! Because fences need repair,
invariably in the most awful weather because they've just blown down.
Because maybe the neighbour has agreed to cut *both* sides.

And I'm very happy because it cuts out the view of a busy road junction
and a crucifix and the goldcrests nest in it.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
bnd777

But you maintain your leylandi at 6 ft and no doubt keep it clean and tidy
underneath

The ones that wreck my garden are 12ft high ,,,,,,,half dead to 6 ft up and
a 1 ft deep mess of dried shards underneath to keep blowing through
Add on the entire centres of the trees are full of cuttings

UGLY is a good word same as their owner who delights in causing all manner
of aggaravations just as he did at previous house and no doubt the one
before that too

"David" wrote in message
In article , Paul Kelly
writes