Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Default Lupins - in pots?

How big should pots be for planting lupin (roots) in? 10"?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Chris Bacon wrote:
How big should pots be for planting lupin (roots) in? 10"?

This is a little like "how long is a piece of string?" How big are
the plants you have? I'm guessing that a 2 litre pot would probably
suit you if you're thinking of 10" pots but don't put tiny new plug
plants into something that size! If you're going to keep the lupins in
their pots, they should comfortably fit the pot, not be jammed in, nor
be tiny, thready little roots floundering in a mass of wet compost.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
Chris Bacon wrote:
How big should pots be for planting lupin (roots) in? 10"?

This is a little like "how long is a piece of string?" How big are
the plants you have? I'm guessing that a 2 litre pot would probably
suit you if you're thinking of 10" pots but don't put tiny new plug
plants into something that size! If you're going to keep the lupins in
their pots, they should comfortably fit the pot, not be jammed in, nor
be tiny, thready little roots floundering in a mass of wet compost.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Yes, 2 ltr pots should be fine. I use them to get the lupins to a size that will survive slug attack before I put them in the flower beds.
Old 13-04-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Pest Effects wrote:
Sacha Wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
How big should pots be for planting lupin (roots) in? 10"?
This is a little like "how long is a piece of string?" How big are
the plants you have? I'm guessing that a 2 litre pot would probably
suit you if you're thinking of 10" pots but don't put tiny new plug
plants into something that size! If you're going to keep the lupins
in
their pots, they should comfortably fit the pot, not be jammed in, nor
be tiny, thready little roots floundering in a mass of wet compost.

Yes, 2 ltr pots should be fine. I use them to get the lupins to a size
that will survive slug attack before I put them in the flower beds.

Thank you various psoters. I have put them in 10" pots that
have taken about 3/4 of a 40L bag of compost to fill... I
have to put quite a lot of plants in pots, etc., due to
digging much of the ground close to the house up this year.