Old 12-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire
Question Silver Birch

When is the best time to move a silver birch to a new spot in my garden and what will happen if i move it at the wrong time?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Silver Birch

In article ,
loulabelle901 wrote:

When is the best time to move a silver birch to a new spot in my garden
and what will happen if i move it at the wrong time?

Earlier than now, and it will die. How big is it? My advice is
not to bother - they aren't expensive, and don't transplant well
except when very small. So plant a new one, and scrap the old
one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

loulabelle901 wrote:
When is the best time to move a silver birch to a new spot in my garden
and what will happen if i move it at the wrong time?

You should move it when it's dormant, in winter. Now is not a good
time. If you do decide to move it, make sure a nice big hole is ready
for it and take as much soil around the rootball as you can. However,
unless this is a special present from someone they are, as Nick says,
not that expensive and you might be better off starting again with a
new tree.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk