Old 14-04-2006, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Default growing roses into trees

How does this work - it just occurred to me that teh leaves on teh tree
would shade the rose? Also can anyone recommend a highly scented vigorous
rose to grow into a large alder (I think). Preferably the old rose type
rather than a hybrid tea type. TIA,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 14-04-2006, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

H Ryder writes
How does this work - it just occurred to me that teh leaves on teh tree
would shade the rose?

The rose does its thing and climbs to the top of the tree. It's what
climbers are designed for - don't mess around building solid trunks, use
someone else for support, and scramble up till you break through the
canopy.

Plant the rose towards the edge of the canopy and let it climb into the
tree from there - if you plant it ear the trunk, the tree will be taking
all the water, and the rose will struggle.

Also can anyone recommend a highly scented vigorous
rose to grow into a large alder (I think).

Can you give some more indication? Bedroom height? Roof height? Dwarfs
the house?

--
Kay
Old 14-04-2006, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"K" wrote in message
H Ryder writes
How does this work - it just occurred to me that teh leaves on teh tree
would shade the rose?

The rose does its thing and climbs to the top of the tree. It's what
climbers are designed for - don't mess around building solid trunks, use
someone else for support, and scramble up till you break through the
canopy.

Once Hayley has climbed up this unfortunate volunteer and scramled to the
canopy what does she do ? :-)
snip
Kay

Old 15-04-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

H Ryder wrote:
How does this work - it just occurred to me that teh leaves on teh tree
would shade the rose? Also can anyone recommend a highly scented vigorous
rose to grow into a large alder (I think). Preferably the old rose type
rather than a hybrid tea type. TIA,

Have a look at the David Austin site because they have a section
specific to roses for putting up trees. These a
Climbers and Ramblers for growing into Trees, over Bushes and Hedges
and smothering unsightly features: Almost any rambler is excellent but
the best a Albéric Barbier, Bobbie James, Cécile Brunner Clg, Dr.
W. Van Fleet, Félicité et Perpétue, Francis E. Lester, Kew Rambler,
Long John Silver, May Queen, R. filipes 'Kiftsgate', Paul's Himalayan
Musk, R. mulliganii, R. banksiae lutea, R. banksiae banksiae, R.
wichuraiana ramblers, Wedding Day.
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Some of these are not very scented but e.g. Kiftsgate is fast and
vigorous and very lovely, as is R. Banksiae lutea. I should think you
could try the same thing with e..g Clematis rehederiana which is
evergreen with us, flowers later in the year than many Clematis and has
cowslip scented pale yellow bells. We have it growing in among the
Rosa Banksiae and other things on the front wall of the house and it
allows a lovely delicate fragrance to creep in through the bedroom
window.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-04-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Can you give some more indication? Bedroom height? Roof height? Dwarfs
the house?

The tree is about 30' at least and almost as broad. Would like rose to
"fill" tree. It is planted "in" a mixed wild hedge so would not matter if
the rose sprawled over that. On one side it is already underplanted with a
"rose hedge" which is doing well. My intention was to plant one or two roses
on the other side to climb into tree and possibly flower at5 different times
and hopefully fill the garden with scent. Colour wise just something that
will show up against teh tree and sky. TIA

Old 15-04-2006, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rupert writes

"K" wrote in message
H Ryder writes
How does this work - it just occurred to me that teh leaves on teh tree
would shade the rose?

The rose does its thing and climbs to the top of the tree. It's what
climbers are designed for - don't mess around building solid trunks, use
someone else for support, and scramble up till you break through the
canopy.

Once Hayley has climbed up this unfortunate volunteer and scramled to the
canopy what does she do ? :-)
snip

Bloom, of course ;-)
--