Old 18-04-2006, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobby

Default Hardwood furniture oil?

Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead of
teak oil?

Old 18-04-2006, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Bobby" wrote in message
Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead of
teak oil?

Assuming the hardwood came from your*garden* then yes :-)
I use olive oil to cover scratches on an oak hardwood floor.
I do not use wax or oil on furniture. I wash with warm water and buff up
with a dry cloth--seems to work as well as wax.

Old 18-04-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Bobby" wrote in message

Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture
instead of teak oil?

Vegetable oils will go rancid after a period and begin to smell.

quote

Left at room temperatures, opened bottles of cooking oils can begin
to rancid in anywhere from a week to a couple of months, though it
may take several more months to reach such a point of rancidity
that it can be smelled.

http://www.survival-center.com/foodfaq/ff10-fat.htm

quote

Teak oil is probably overdosed with high levels of antioxidants
to combat rancidity. Which makes it harmful to human health, if
consumed. In addition it possibly contains added UV barriers and
fungicides.

Whereas with cooking oil you just get smelly but waterproof garden
furniture. Which maybe goes sticky in hot weather.

It's a case of pay your money and take your choice.

michael adams

Old 18-04-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Bobby wrote:
Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead of
teak oil?

Rub in a bit of "boiled linseed oil" to the cleaned furniture. Wipe
off with clean rag. Do not use it for a day or two. Burn the rag
when you've used it if it's hot weather, or bag it up in leakproof
bags and bin it.
Old 19-04-2006, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NickW

"Bobby" wrote in message
Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead of
teak oil?

All vegetable oil goes rancid except walnut, which is OK to use, Danish oil
is better but is more expensive. I use walnut oil on wooden kitchen items
such as chopping boards and salad servers, platters etc., and Danish oil on
my garden furniture.
PS - I'm a woodworker more than a gardener!

Old 19-04-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"NickW" writes:
| "Bobby" wrote in message
| Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead of
| teak oil?
|
| All vegetable oil goes rancid except walnut, which is OK to use, Danish oil
| is better but is more expensive. I use walnut oil on wooden kitchen items
| such as chopping boards and salad servers, platters etc., and Danish oil on
| my garden furniture.
| PS - I'm a woodworker more than a gardener!

Eh? The affordable oil for wood treatment is linseed, which you can
buy quite cheaply in large containers from artist's stockists and even
good hardware stores. That doesn't go rancid (it is a drying oil), and
has been used for wood treatment for centuries and probably millennia.

Teak and Danish oils are new, trendy and for people with money to burn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"NickW" writes:
| "Bobby" wrote in message
| Is it OK to use vegetable (cooking) oil on hardwood furniture instead
of
| teak oil?
|
| All vegetable oil goes rancid except walnut, which is OK to use,
Danish oil
| is better but is more expensive. I use walnut oil on wooden kitchen
items
| such as chopping boards and salad servers, platters etc., and Danish
oil on
| my garden furniture.
| PS - I'm a woodworker more than a gardener!

Eh? The affordable oil for wood treatment is linseed, which you can
buy quite cheaply in large containers from artist's stockists and even
good hardware stores. That doesn't go rancid (it is a drying oil), and
has been used for wood treatment for centuries and probably millennia.

Teak and Danish oils are new, trendy and for people with money to burn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

That's a disgusting slur on my character-I have a can of Danish oil in my
possession.
In my favourite local Hardware shop the man in a karki coat offers both
boiled and raw linseed oil not to mention three different designs of
moletraps

Old 19-04-2006, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

"Rupert" wrote in :

In my ... local Hardware shop ...

A what?

Oh alright, :{

Old 19-04-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article , Rupert wrote:

Teak and Danish oils are new, trendy and for people with money to burn.

That's a disgusting slur on my character-I have a can of Danish oil in my
possession.

Not everyone with money to burn is of low character, but you know how
you obtained it better than I do :-)

In my favourite local Hardware shop the man in a karki coat offers both
boiled and raw linseed oil not to mention three different designs of
moletraps

And wears a khaki coat, too! I am jealous ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , Rupert
wrote:

Teak and Danish oils are new, trendy and for people with money to
burn.

That's a disgusting slur on my character-I have a can of Danish oil
in my possession.

Not everyone with money to burn is of low character, but you know how
you obtained it better than I do :-)

In my favourite local Hardware shop the man in a karki coat offers
both boiled and raw linseed oil not to mention three different
designs of moletraps

And wears a khaki coat, too! I am jealous ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

And he sells 'four candles' too
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 19-04-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

In article , Rupert wrote:

Teak and Danish oils are new, trendy and for people with money to burn.

That's a disgusting slur on my character-I have a can of Danish oil in my
possession.

Not everyone with money to burn is of low character, but you know how
you obtained it better than I do :-)

In my favourite local Hardware shop the man in a karki coat offers both
boiled and raw linseed oil not to mention three different designs of
moletraps

And wears a khaki coat, too! I am jealous ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I should have said cakey (as in crusty):-)
The same man will gladly give you one nail, complete with brown paper bag,
FOC.
You see there are advantages to living in the "grim North"

Old 19-04-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article , Rupert wrote:

You see there are advantages to living in the "grim North"

Starting with the fact that there are hills that were not built by
moles within a reasonable distance ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Rupert" wrote in message

The same man will gladly give you one nail, complete with
brown paper bag, FOC.

You see there are advantages to living in the "grim North"

Makes a cheap family day out, that's for sure.

A six mile walk to the hardware shop to buy a nail.

All singing as you go, no doubt.

michael adams

Old 19-04-2006, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

The same man will gladly give you one nail, complete with
brown paper bag, FOC.

You see there are advantages to living in the "grim North"

Makes a cheap family day out, that's for sure.

A six mile walk to the hardware shop to buy a nail.

All singing as you go, no doubt.

michael adams

My bad wording again.
The Nail is free of charge as is the brown paper bag. That has to be worth a
10 mile walk. :-)

Old 19-04-2006, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Rupert" wrote in message

The same man will gladly give you one nail, complete with
brown paper bag, FOC.

You see there are advantages to living in the "grim North"

Makes a cheap family day out, that's for sure.

A six mile walk to the hardware shop to buy a nail.

All singing as you go, no doubt.

michael adams

My bad wording again.

Nar. Poetic licence on my part. "Buy a nail" sounded better,
that's all.

The Nail is free of charge as is the brown paper bag. That
has to be worth a 10 mile walk. :-)

And you can spend the evening making a paper aeroplane out
of the bag as well.

michael adams