Old 21-04-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

Default Gladioli

I think I have done a rather stupid thing - I planted around 100 gladi
corms and I have a horrid feeling that I may planted them upside down.
I planted them with the nobbly bit down ; that had obviously had some
sort of growth the year before and the pointed bit up. I am told that I
have put them upside down and that the pointed bit should have been
down!! Please tell me that I have got it right and that the other
person is wrong!
--
Judith Lea
Old 21-04-2006, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Taz

I've just planed new ones, and put them in pointed end upwards - but
it's bound to be easier with new ones! Most plants know which way is
up once they start anyway, but not sure if gladdis can. It'll be
interesting if nothing else! Did you plant them in grit - they hate
sitting in wet cold soil.

Old 21-04-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article .com, Taz
writes
I've just planed new ones, and put them in pointed end upwards - but
it's bound to be easier with new ones! Most plants know which way is
up once they start anyway, but not sure if gladdis can. It'll be
interesting if nothing else! Did you plant them in grit - they hate
sitting in wet cold soil.

So I have planted them correctly then?
--
Judith Lea
Old 21-04-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

:
: So I have planted them correctly then?
: --
: Judith Lea

Think so

Old 21-04-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Judith Lea" wrote
Taz writes
I've just planed new ones, and put them in pointed end upwards - but
it's bound to be easier with new ones! Most plants know which way is
up once they start anyway, but not sure if gladdis can. It'll be
interesting if nothing else! Did you plant them in grit - they hate
sitting in wet cold soil.

So I have planted them correctly then?

Yes, sounds like it. Pointed end should be upwards and the knobbly
flatter end is the base.
This should set your mind at rest:
http://www.garden.org/plantguide/ind...q=show&id=2064

--
Sue

Old 21-04-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Judith Lea" wrote
Taz writes
I've just planed new ones, and put them in pointed end upwards - but
it's bound to be easier with new ones! Most plants know which way is
up once they start anyway, but not sure if gladdis can. It'll be
interesting if nothing else! Did you plant them in grit - they hate
sitting in wet cold soil.

So I have planted them correctly then?

Yes, sounds like it. Pointed end should be upwards and the knobbly
flatter end is the base.
This should set your mind at rest:
http://www.garden.org/plantguide/ind...q=show&id=2064
Sue

Or this :~))
http://www.comfycountrycreations.com/whatarebulbs.htm
Jenny

Old 21-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Lea
I think I have done a rather stupid thing - I planted around 100 gladi
corms and I have a horrid feeling that I may planted them upside down.
I planted them with the nobbly bit down ; that had obviously had some
sort of growth the year before and the pointed bit up. I am told that I
have put them upside down and that the pointed bit should have been
down!! Please tell me that I have got it right and that the other
person is wrong!
--
Judith Lea
I wouldn't worry too much! Gladiolus are 'corms' not bulbs meaning they will replace themselves.

The top growth will naturally grow upwards and seek light and eventually flower, what I am not quite so sure about is what will happen to the newly formed corm.

Perhaps when you lift them you might inform us all if they grew naturally i.e. were they upside down?
Old 21-04-2006, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Judith Lea" wrote
I think I have done a rather stupid thing - I planted around 100 gladi
corms and I have a horrid feeling that I may planted them upside down. I
planted them with the nobbly bit down ; that had obviously had some sort of
growth the year before and the pointed bit up. I am told that I have put
them upside down and that the pointed bit should have been down!! Please
tell me that I have got it right and that the other person is wrong!

Pointed end up flat end down with Glads, I think you may have got them
confused with Begonias which are flat/concave end up curved end down.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-04-2006, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Pointed end up flat end down with Glads, I think you may have got them
confused with Begonias which are flat/concave end up curved end down.

Thank you everyone for advice - the mists have now cleared and I did
indeed get confused with Begonias - however, my memory is certainly not
as good as it could be these days.
--
Judith Lea

Gladioli Bulb Question M United Kingdom 1 04-03-2006 09:18 PM
Harvesting gladioli (and other bulb flowers) JB United Kingdom 4 25-01-2006 07:31 AM
Gladioli Robert United Kingdom 4 04-09-2005 01:20 PM
Gladioli in fflower Pam Moore United Kingdom 6 28-07-2004 05:04 PM
Gladioli in fflower Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 09:47 AM