Old 24-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Cat Problems

Hi....am new to this forum and realtively new to gardening, hello to you all!

This is probably a question that has been answered many times before but we are having a big problems with a cat, or cats using the garden as their toilet.

My mother in law is a keen gardener and after today even she is perplexed about how to help.

When we moved in last year the garden was quite over grown and so far last autumn and this spring we have spent a lot of time in the front and back garden creating flower beds. Of course the pull of freshly dug soil is very appealing to cats and when we put in the first batch of bulbs etc for this spring we were finding the plants and bulbs being dug up and finding what you would expect to come out of an animals bottom in their place.

We started to put in plants grown from cuttings and every day we come home to find them dug up and animal dirt left behind. So far we have tried cat pepper, silent roar, orange peel, tea bags with olbas oil on them and bottles of water. Each worked for about a week at a time and then the same happens again. We have just about cleared out my mother in laws greenhouse of cuttings!

We resorted at the weekend to covering the areas with netting, but guess what? We came home today to find three areas of netting ripped aside, plants dug up and the usual excrement in their place.

We are now at a loss as to what else we can try. I have ordered some plants that have an odour that apparently repels cats.

Can anyone help with any other tips?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 24-04-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

Default Cat Problems

kimby wrote:
Hi....am new to this forum and realtively new to gardening, hello to you
all!

This is probably a question that has been answered many times before
but we are having a big problems with a cat, or cats using the garden
as their toilet.

We are now at a loss as to what else we can try. I have ordered some
plants that have an odour that apparently repels cats.

Can anyone help with any other tips?

Many thanks in advance.

Have you thought of a dog?
Old 24-04-2006, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
imby writes:

| This is probably a question that has been answered many times before
| but we are having a big problems with a cat, or cats using the garden
| as their toilet.

Oh, God, not again.

| We are now at a loss as to what else we can try. I have ordered some
| plants that have an odour that apparently repels cats.

You can also try snake oil.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-04-2006, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"kimby" wrote
[...]

Welcome to URG, it's a newsgroup. Have a good look at Outlook Express and
you might come across that word.

Yes, it sound just like foxes to me. Had two families of them for years on
our old allotment site and it's exactly what they do, cats usually bury
their faeces, foxes leave them exposed. Anything you put down like fleece or
netting was ripped up just like you say. Cats don't bother wasting the
energy!
Not cats, foxes.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-04-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

kimby wrote:
snip

bulbs being dug up and finding what you would expect to come out of an
animals bottom in their place.

This has got to be the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Old 25-04-2006, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

"kimby" wrote in message

Hi....am new to this forum and realtively new to gardening, hello to you
all!

This is probably a question that has been answered many times before
but we are having a big problems with a cat, or cats using the garden
as their toilet.

My mother in law is a keen gardener and after today

Try a sonic cat deterrent I had the same problem and since putting one of
these devices in the garden the pooing has stopped.
I got mine off ebay for about£15
good luck

Old 25-04-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Try a sonic cat deterrent I had the same problem and since putting one of
these devices in the garden the pooing has stopped.
I got mine off ebay for about£15
good luck

Get one of the little green unobtrusive ones with rechargable batteries.
Being small and portable you can conceal them behind plants, but still to
give a wide angle 'vision' of area and of course move them about.

Another way of keeping the vermin out of an enclosed garden is to put carpet
gripper strips along the tops of fences. This has the double effect of
stopping the vemin from sharpening their claws and pulling the fence top to
pieces

If all else fails. Skin and cook. They taste like rabbit. A good meal and
problem solved, plus a pair of bedroom slippers :-))

Mike

Old 25-04-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gary croft

sam wrote:

kimby wrote:
Hi....am new to this forum and realtively new to gardening, hello to you
all!

This is probably a question that has been answered many times before
but we are having a big problems with a cat, or cats using the garden
as their toilet.

We are now at a loss as to what else we can try. I have ordered some
plants that have an odour that apparently repels cats.

Can anyone help with any other tips?

Many thanks in advance.

Have you thought of a dog?

I had problems with cats too and if you dont have the time to keep a dog the
best option is to get a tom cat, i hated cats at first but grew to like the
bugger he fights all the other cats away and well he tends to dump on the
neighbours garden instead of his own :-) problem solved...

Old 25-04-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

he tends to dump on the
neighbours garden instead of his own :-) problem solved...

an urgler problem which has been raised time and time again as the OP
stated.

"Conscious as I am of your predicament, I am all right Jack. Pull up the
ladder"

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 25-04-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"gary croft" wrote in message
sam wrote:

kimby wrote:
[...]

Nice troll, except an entire tom will mark his own territory i.e.
garden by spraying anything available of a suitable height - the
height of other tom's noses with his pungent calling card. This
includes pots and garden furniture, and even possibly inside the house.
It's this, rather than the fact that with any unspayed queens around
he will also be adding to the local cat population, that persuades
many owners to get their toms neutered. Neutered toms also live
considerably longer, as they're less likely to suffer from infected
wounds gained in fights, as they roam less are less likely to get
killed on the road. They also happen to make better mousers as
they keep their attention on the job in hand.

michael adams

Old 27-04-2006, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"gary croft" wrote in message
sam wrote:

kimby wrote:
Hi....am new to this forum and realtively new to gardening, hello to you
all!

This is probably a question that has been answered many times before
but we are having a big problems with a cat, or cats using the garden
as their toilet.

We are now at a loss as to what else we can try. I have ordered some
plants that have an odour that apparently repels cats.

Can anyone help with any other tips?

Many thanks in advance.

Have you thought of a dog?

I had problems with cats too and if you dont have the time to keep a dog
the
best option is to get a tom cat, i hated cats at first but grew to like
the
bugger he fights all the other cats away and well he tends to dump on the
neighbours garden instead of his own :-) problem solved...

What a brilliant idea!

Alan

Old 27-04-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"kimby" wrote in message

Hi....am new to this forum and realtively new to gardening, hello to you
all!

This is not a forum, it is a newsgroup, but I do not expect you to
understand that, as you are posting from gardenbanter!

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
Patio Garden, Cat Friendly help requested Bill Gates Gardening 6 17-03-2011 05:05 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Re cat problems Bob H United Kingdom 0 04-05-2003 08:08 PM
cat problems, again Bob H United Kingdom 48 21-04-2003 09:08 PM