Old 25-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Capsicum, when to plant on...

Hi,

My Anaheim and Hungarian Hot Wax seeds have progressed far better than expected. Most are just starting to develop a second set of leaves.

I understand that once this 2nd set is established I should plant on.

Would a 3 inch pot be OK for the next growth?? and after that a 6 inch pot for final growth??

Why do some plants need potting on in stages? Is this to add new compost or control its root.

Kind Regards
Brian
Old 25-04-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"tvrchimaera" wrote in message

Hi,

My Anaheim and Hungarian Hot Wax seeds have progressed far better than
expected. Most are just starting to develop a second set of leaves.

I understand that once this 2nd set is established I should plant on.

Would a 3 inch pot be OK for the next growth?? and after that a 6 inch
pot for final growth??

As you probably already know, when handling seedlings only ever
touch the leaves. Never the delicate stem.

3in. will be o.k. next. Depending on how much trouble you like to take,
you can then go to a four, or five inch pot, then after that a six inch pot.
The size of the final pot will depend on how well the plants are growing -
which depends on what conditions they're growing in, how much heat, light
and nutrient they're getting, and when they were started. For sweet caps,
I've gone on to a 9 inch pot and even bigger. But then most caps are
actually perennials, if grown under the right conditions in any case.
They can even be overwintered indoors as a novelty if nothing else.

When potting on, first water the compost in the old pot beforehand so it
sticks together better. Then, using an old spare pot as a template, make
a pot shaped void in the compost in the new pot. Basically hold the old pot
in postion, and fill the new pot by trickling the compost over the top
and around the sides, then wiggle the old pot about, to firm up the
shape of the void in the new pot before withdrawing it. Making sure
there's no gaps at the bottom.

Then, using a bit of cardboard with a slot cut in it to accomodate the
stem, place that on top of the compost in the odd pot. Put your fingers
on either side of the stem. Then tip it upside down with the cardboard and
compost resting on your fingers. And then, taking your time, and tipping
over
the new pot slightly in the other hand gently, slide it into place.

Once you get the hang of this, potting-on won't seem such a chore.

Why do some plants need potting on in stages? Is this to add new
compost or control its root.

According to some posts on here, it's to do with moisture distribution
and prevents plants sitting in wet compost.

However in my experience: when you grow plants in too large a pot,
the roots will always make a bee line for the edges of the pot and
you get a largely hollow rootspace. Lots of roots around the edges
and nothing in the middle. Whereas if you pot on in stages, you get
more layers of concentrated root growth, so the whole root space
is much more evenly filled, each successive stage having grown
into fresh compost.

michael adams

Kind Regards
Brian

--
tvrchimaera

Old 25-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrchimaera
Hi,

My Anaheim and Hungarian Hot Wax seeds have progressed far better than expected. Most are just starting to develop a second set of leaves.

I understand that once this 2nd set is established I should plant on.

Would a 3 inch pot be OK for the next growth?? and after that a 6 inch pot for final growth??

Why do some plants need potting on in stages? Is this to add new compost or control its root.

Kind Regards
Brian
Suggest you read guide on how to grow chillis in Britain he

http://www.thechileman.org/guide_home.php

and for more detail follow discussions he

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php (when it comes back to life)

Basically the reason for potting them on in stages is that they don't take up the water in the compost if you put them in a huge pot, while they are still small, so they might suffer root rot. You can cut down on some repotting by sowing them one seed to a 3-inch pot in the first place, fair enough if you are expecting a high germination rate. Also they hate having their roots intefered with, so try not to disturb the soil around their roots.

Capsicum (Green Bell Pepper) Boring Pest Antipodean Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 12 29-12-2004 12:58 AM
Capsicum Help SG1 Australia 7 16-04-2003 10:33 PM
Capsicum & Chilli Probs FASTEDDY Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Home Grown Capsicum Willow Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
capsicum flower drop Mitch Kosklin Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM