Old 29-04-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Meech

Default Dead shredder

My shredding addiction has suffered a setback - the shredder died this
morning.
Bosch 2000 working brilliantly then it started clogging - husband
dismantled, cleared clog. On restart it just isn't doing the job any more it
appears to be blunt. At £200 for about 6hrs shredding this seems a bit
expensive. Anyone else had the same problem?

Old 29-04-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

My shredding addiction has suffered a setback - the shredder died this
morning.
Bosch 2000 working brilliantly then it started clogging - husband
dismantled, cleared clog. On restart it just isn't doing the job any more

it
appears to be blunt. At £200 for about 6hrs shredding this seems a bit
expensive. Anyone else had the same problem?

I too had exactly the same addiction with the same result - it was not a
Bosch 2000 - think that it was a B&D something. It happened twice, first I
got it repaired, second time I gave up. After talking to guy in repair shop
and various others it seems that the average "garden shredder" is not
actually for serious shredding but for disposing of the occasional pruning.
I was told that I'd be better off with a big semi industrial thing if I
wanted to shred lots of stuff and this proved prohibitally expensive

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 29-04-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Chris Meech" wrote in message
My shredding addiction has suffered a setback - the shredder died this
morning.
Bosch 2000 working brilliantly then it started clogging - husband
dismantled, cleared clog. On restart it just isn't doing the job any more
it appears to be blunt. At £200 for about 6hrs shredding this seems a bit
expensive. Anyone else had the same problem?

I have a Bosch shredder which is now in its fourth year(2200HP) When it
clogs it has a reverse thingy which clears it eventually.
You should not have to take the thing to bits. The cog wheel is not
particularly sharp it grinds against a plate(nearly). When the stuff starts
to come out in joined bits you move the wheel towards the plate by use of an
Allen Key in the appropriate hole.
I respectfully suggest your huby has not reassembled it correctly.
..

Old 30-04-2006, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"H Ryder" wrote

I too had exactly the same addiction with the same result - it was not
a Bosch 2000 - think that it was a B&D something. It happened twice,
first I got it repaired, second time I gave up. After talking to guy
in repair shop and various others it seems that the average "garden
shredder" is not actually for serious shredding but for disposing of
the occasional pruning. I was told that I'd be better off with a big
semi industrial thing if I wanted to shred lots of stuff and this
proved prohibitally expensive

IMO the guy in the repair shop was talking nonsense. There are some very
good and effective shredders for general garden use - check out previous
URG threads. As I said the other day, the ones to avoid are the cheap
ones with blades which do blunt easily and clog up continuously, but
sturdier machines with a chopping, crushing action will do the business.

I can pull my Alko model along with one hand; it's robust but not too
big or heavy. It'll crunch up woody branches up to about 45mm diameter,
plus all the smaller twigs and leafy material too, and has done so with
no problem for several years. The trick is to feed in woody branches or
twigs along with any greener stuff to give the shredder something to
bite on. Mine has never had to be taken apart - there's an automatic
reverse action that clears itself and it only ever jams up if I get too
enthusiastic feeding it excess soft sappy stuff at once. Shoving in a
woody branch will then pull the obstruction through, and away we go
again. Don't know what they retail at now but iircc it cost me about
£220 or so, and it was worth every penny.

LOL, I feel as if I'm getting evangelical about shredding.

--
Sue

Old 30-04-2006, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Chris Meech" wrote in message
My shredding addiction has suffered a setback - the shredder died this
morning.
Bosch 2000 working brilliantly then it started clogging - husband
dismantled, cleared clog. On restart it just isn't doing the job any more
it appears to be blunt. At £200 for about 6hrs shredding this seems a bit
expensive. Anyone else had the same problem?

I have a Bosch shredder which is now in its fourth year(2200HP) When it
clogs it has a reverse thingy which clears it eventually.
You should not have to take the thing to bits. The cog wheel is not
particularly sharp it grinds against a plate(nearly). When the stuff starts
to come out in joined bits you move the wheel towards the plate by use of an
Allen Key in the appropriate hole.
I respectfully suggest your huby has not reassembled it correctly.
.

I also have this model, it is now 4 years, or thereabouts, old and is
still working well. I have hedging on three sides of a 1/2 acre garden,
it has handled all the prunings from that plus any other bits and pieces
I have had no problems at all. I love putting very large green branches
in, as long as the thickest part passes through the throat, I then stand
back and watch it disappear. Like many shredder owners I love them, they
are my favourite garden tool!

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

Old 30-04-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rick

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:40:31 GMT, "Chris Meech" wrote:

My shredding addiction has suffered a setback - the shredder died this
morning.
Bosch 2000 working brilliantly then it started clogging - husband
dismantled, cleared clog. On restart it just isn't doing the job any more it
appears to be blunt. At £200 for about 6hrs shredding this seems a bit
expensive. Anyone else had the same problem?

I have had a Bosch shredder for years without any problems, in fact at least 2 good sized trees have
gone through it. Now it needs a new helix, but after what it has done, I'm not surprised.

If you need spares for it, give these guys a call
http://www.healystool.co.uk/Right%20.../shredders.htm

Also you can get pdf parts diagrams from the Bosch website.

Hope this helps
Rick... (The other Rick)
Old 30-04-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Chris Meech" wrote in message
My shredding addiction has suffered a setback - the shredder died this
morning.
Bosch 2000 working brilliantly then it started clogging - husband
dismantled, cleared clog. On restart it just isn't doing the job any more

it
appears to be blunt. At £200 for about 6hrs shredding this seems a bit
expensive. Anyone else had the same problem?

You may find it is just a case of readjusting the plate the blades cut
against, if its like mine there is a key on one side which winds it in and
out, it will clog if a lot of green stuff goes through so we normally have
some stick to help it on its way (soft green stuff is better straight in the
compost bin anyway)
We normally only have to adjust if something a bit too big goes through but
I do seem to remember had to readjust soon after buying.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sla#s

Sue wrote:
"H Ryder" wrote

SNIP
I can pull my Alko model along with one hand; it's robust but not too
big or heavy. It'll crunch up woody branches up to about 45mm
diameter, plus all the smaller twigs and leafy material too, and has
done so with no problem for several years. The trick is to feed in
woody branches or twigs along with any greener stuff to give the
shredder something to bite on. Mine has never had to be taken apart -
there's an automatic reverse action that clears itself and it only
ever jams up if I get too enthusiastic feeding it excess soft sappy
stuff at once. Shoving in a woody branch will then pull the
obstruction through, and away we go again. Don't know what they
retail at now but iircc it cost me about £220 or so, and it was worth
every penny.

I can confirm all this.
I have six compost bins to fill so before I bought the ALKO I hired one of
the ones that have high speed rotating blades - can't remember the make -
this immediately convinced me to get one with slow speed crushing, cutting
action. - 'Silent power' type.

After a bout five years it wasn't cutting small twigs any more so I replaced
the nylon roller and it's back to 'as new'.
The only thing it realy doesn't like is Hawthorn - which keeps trying to
crawl back out!

http://www.gpdltdtest.co.uk/productD...p?productID=76

Slatts