Old 09-04-2003, 09:32 AM
dmc

Default Turf laying costs?

Hi all,

Ok, I'll admit I am not a particularly keen gardener - I enjoy sitting in
it but thats about it so when my wife suggested that we trash the garden
and lay turf to get a quick(ish) decent lawn I thought I would look into
"alternatives" to doing it myself...

Having no idea of the costs for this sort of thing I did a trawl on google
and found some prices but they are all up north - we are in Folkestone
(SE England) so I suspect things will be more expensive down here as usual.

The area that we want to cover is 12x5.5m. http://www.tealturf.co.uk/
suggests that this will be something like 140 squid but it also quotes
an extra 2-3 hundred quid to lay it *and* prepare the ground.

This appeals. This appeals a lot :-) It would take me a lot of time
and effort to do it myself so I see this as a few hundred quid well
spent. I know its not really in the spirit of this group but anything
that will give me more time to sit in the garden in the sun (he says typing
this as hail is beating at the window) is good. I also have a two year old
who wants to get into the garden to play. Unfortunatly tealturf don't
seem to come further South than London - particularly on a small job like
mine :-(

Is 400 quid a realistic price for this? Ideally I want someone to come in,
dig/rotavate and level the site and then lay the turf. My involvement
should be limited to making cups of tea when required and handing over a
cheque :-) If this is believable (I expected it to be more) then can
anyone recommend a company local to Folkestone who maybe interested in
this sort of job?

Anyone reading this fancy a job? ;-)

Thanks,

Darren

Old 09-04-2003, 02:20 PM
RobK

Darren,

That sounds about right to me. My lawn is a similar size and cost about
£350 for preparing and laying, and that was about a year ago.

RK