Old 06-05-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Whitefly- organic control (if any)?

Would organic controls for aphids (predators where possible and spraying with
soap solution) be effective for whitefly- or do I need other strategies?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 06-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VX
Would organic controls for aphids (predators where possible and spraying with
soap solution) be effective for whitefly- or do I need other strategies?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)
Natural enemies of aphids are not normally effective on whiteflies. The predators might take a few whitefly larvae but the parasitoids definitely won't. You'll have to use specific parasitoids for whitefly and Encarsia formosa and Eretmocerus eremicus are both commercially available. 'Just Green' actually do a dual pack containing both wasps.

If your whitefly problems are only just beginning (ie. you are only seeing a sporadic appearance of the adults with no juveniles on the lower leaves), then a weekly application of a sufactant product would be the best strategy to control things. SB Plant Invigorator is currently having some very good reviews at the moment.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

VX wrote:
Would organic controls for aphids (predators where possible and spraying with
soap solution) be effective for whitefly- or do I need other strategies?

They are related to each others and I treat them in the same way - I
zap them off the leaves and branches with my hose pipes, spray soapy
water on them or rub them off with my finger and cut branches/leaves
which are heavily infected. I actually find whiteflies easier to knock
off their perches - perhaps their larger wings destabilise them )